Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:18 AM   #11
Administrator

Yep... I just had a problem with a mouse that was shorting out the connection near the mouse (move the cable a bit and the mouse quit working, taking some of the other USB ports with it).

But, then again, a cable attached to a mouse gets a lot more use than a cable for transferring images.

Regardless of the transfer method you choose, just be careful since parts can break (connectors, card slot doors/covers/ejectors, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:31 AM   #12

I have a permanent Pana USB cable devoted just to download images (but skipped propietary software; just click Import in Picasa3). Taking out the card each time means more work and involves more risks to my weak p&s connectors and tiny doors.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:56 AM   #13

WOW - I think people are a bit too adamant about this - in my experience I've done it both ways. I would not agree either way has any higher likelihood of failure than the other. Currently I'm using a card reader because that works best with my workflow and I sometimes have multiple cards. I have no reservations that the USB cable is any more error prone. At over 50,000 images per year I've never had a failure either method.

In my experience you're safe with either method (or conversely either method has a small risk of failure). So go with whichever method works well with your workflow.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Administrator

It probably depends on the camera model. The card door is a relatively weak link with some models (very "flimsy" construction). I've seen a fair number of posts over the years about problems with them (yet, I can't recall seeing a problem using a cable attached camera). Ditto for the card ejection mechanisms in some models (I've seen a number of posts about them breaking over the years).

I still use a card reader though, and the only issue I've had with something getting damaged was a card reader versus camera. But, it was a very cheap reader with poor construction.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Administrator

Ditto for battery doors (some models have pretty flimsy construction in that area, and they tend to be a more common failure point). So, I'm extra careful removing and inserting batteries and cards.