Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Transfering images from card to computer

There are two electronics in my life that drive me nuts because they are so fragile. First, my cell phone. It's got one wire connector. That connector charges the phone AND also serves as the plug-in for my headset. After having the phone replaced a couple of times because that little connector gets broken, cracked or loose, I've learned to be incredibly gentle with that connector.

Second electronic that requires kid gloves is my son's iPod. Same thing. Connectors are easily broken, cracked or get loose.

With that backdrop, I wonder which way is best to transfer images from my camera/card to my computer.

My camera uses a CF memory card. I can pop the card out, put it in the computer and load the images.

I can also attach a mini USB wire to the camera and the other end of the wire is a full size USB connector.

Is one of these easier on the camera than the other? The CF card has about 40 pin holes thru which connection gets made. I'm tempted to say that leaving the CF card in place and using the mini USB is the answer.

Which way do you go? Why?

Thanks for your help.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator

There are pros and cons to both approaches. Usually, a card reader is faster. But, sometimes the card covers/slots can be easily damaged if you're not careful.

Personally, I use a card reader. It's a habit I got into a long time ago, since some cameras were using very slow Serial Port Connections for transferring images (for example, I've still got an old Nikon Coolpix 950 that uses Serial versus USB).

You'll have to decide what works best for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3

I havent had the card out of my camera since I bought it. I always use the supplied USB connector to the camera and use the software which pops up when the USB is attached. Then I upload all the pics and then erase them from the card and start fresh each day. I dont know if this is the best way. But its been flawless for me with almost 30,000 photos so far.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i have always used a card reader as well, for me its just habit and easier.

after i upload my photos. i keep recent photos in a working directory on my main hd, i then make a backup on my external hd, where all my archived photos are.

i remove the card, place back in the camera, and use the camera's format feature to erase the images and restore the file structure.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:53 PM   #5

If one of the pins in the CF Card connector gets bent, it's easier to straighten that a bent pin in a USB connector.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:09 PM   #6

I use a card reader also and format the card in camera. Just easier for me because as clumsy as I am I would knock the camera off the desk during the transfer
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:04 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If one of the pins in the CF Card connector gets bent, it's easier to straighten that a bent pin in a USB connector.
I dunno... I threw a card reader away not too long ago because of a pin that got bent and ended up breaking off when I tried to straighten it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:10 AM   #8

Dont all cameras come with a cable which plugs into the camera and goes to the USB port on the computer? If so then why touch the card at all? Just transfer the files. Once they are in the computer you can then do whatever you want with them. Transfer to a memory stick and transfer to anything. My camera also has a cable which plugs into the tv so I can watch a slide show if I prefer. But I cant see any real reason to ever touch the card.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
... But I cant see any real reason to ever touch the card.
  • When the card is full.
  • When the card fails.
  • When you need a faster or bigger card.
There are lots of ways to transfer images from a camera to a computer. Some of them actually require special hardware or software (which I think is absolutely absurd and is a good reason not to buy a particular camera.) If you have multiple methods to choose from, why would you limit yourself to just one?

FaithfulPastor wants to know if one of them is "easier on the camera than the other". The connectors on cards are generally reliable, as are the connectors on USB cables. Is one method "easier on the camera than the other?" Perhaps, but if you only use one method, that's the one that will fail first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

The USB cable can brake, I have a 2 MS mouse(s) that have bad cables.
whitepass is offline   Reply With Quote