Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:15 PM   #1

Default New D5000... Images not coming out well???

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding my new D5000. I do primarily product images and since getting the camera have noticed a marked improvement in picture quality. My work is divided between shooting garments on forms to small items on a Calumet table. Problem is my close up work. For instance, I am photographing these sunglasses and cannot seem to get a crisp in focus image. The front is great but then I loose the back stem of the glasses. I am so new to this camera and i don't think I have it set right. I am shooting with a 18-55mm in manual. Help??? Do I need a macro lens?

Thanks so much in advance.

Chris
Indiana
csacord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:20 PM   #2
Administrator

No, you need to stop down your aperture (use a higher f/stop number) for more depth of field (more of the image in focus as you get further away from your focus point). If you don't see enough Depth of Field by around f/16 or so, I'd probably back up a bit (don't fill the frame as much, so you'll have more depth of field), and crop a tad later using an editor, depending on the print sizes needed. You may also want to experiment focusing somewhere other than the closest point to your camera (for example, somewhere near the middle of the glasses).

Use a tripod to prevent blur from camera shake and keep ISO speeds set lower for best results (as shutter speeds will be relatively slow when you stop down your aperture a lot, unless you have very good lighting). I'd also use a custom white balance and/or shoot in raw.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:31 PM   #3
Administrator

This may help you understand the concepts of Depth of Field and how aperture, focus distance and focal length impact it.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Basically, if you're filling the frame a lot with a small subject occupying a higher percentage of the frame, you'll tend to have a very shallow depth of field. Use a higher f/stop number for more depth of field. If that doesn't give you the desired results (keeping in mind that you'll start seeing a bit of softness from diffraction if you stop down the aperture too much), you'll need to back up a bit more.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:47 PM   #4

Thank you Jim!

I will give that a shot.
csacord is offline   Reply With Quote