Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
True, but another important piece of information when posting photos is the EXIF data. It helps us identify and diagnose a myriad of other issues, including settings that might have affected noise, sharpness and focus.

So when posting photos, try to preserve the EXIF data.
I tried to search through most of the stickies and leading posts throughout the forum but couldn't get anything solid on this. I know what the EXIF data is and am aware of how helpful it is in troubleshooting and understanding problems (and successes).

My first question is, how do I preserve it and ensure that it is available to others for to view when I attach a photo to a thread? I have been hosting most of my newest photos on a Flickr account and then pasting the bbcode link right into the thread. Is that correct?

My second question is, how do I view the EXIF data on other member's photos here on the forum? Or mine when posted for that matter? Is it as simple as clicking on another tab or button within the thread? I've right-clicked pictures and get nothing... but don't know where I should be looking to see it.

Thanks for any guidance
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:47 AM   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
I tried to search through most of the stickies and leading posts throughout the forum but couldn't get anything solid on this. I know what the EXIF data is and am aware of how helpful it is in troubleshooting and understanding problems (and successes).

My first question is, how do I preserve it and ensure that it is available to others for to view when I attach a photo to a thread? I have been hosting most of my newest photos on a Flickr account and then pasting the bbcode link right into the thread. Is that correct?

My second question is, how do I view the EXIF data on other member's photos here on the forum? Or mine when posted for that matter? Is it as simple as clicking on another tab or button within the thread? I've right-clicked pictures and get nothing... but don't know where I should be looking to see it.

Thanks for any guidance
As long as you are not saving for the web from photoshop then the EXIF should still be there. You can soon tell as if you click on the photo on your computer and it shows the camera/settings you are good.

I'm not sure if Flickr is still sharing full exif any longer, they used to have everything but I can't recall seeing it recently.

If an online photo does have exif then you can easily view that with a tool in your browser, oPanda iExif is a good place to start. Then you just right click a photo and can hit exif to see what is there.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Unfortunately, Flickr strips off the EXIF data, but if you click on an image posted from Flickr, you'll go back to the Flickr image, where, under the Actions menu, is the option to View Exif info. The biggest problem is that the EXIF data often doesn't survive the image editting process. Some programs strip it off, and some don't. And here's a new wrinkle: If you upload a photo from your camera to your iPhone so you can post it online somewhere, the iPhone will strip off the camera's EXIF data and substitute its own.

Here's an example of how you can get to the EXIF data through Flickr:

Quote:
There's usually a way to view some of the EXIF data from withing most image editting applications (whether or not they strip it from images you edit with it. But to see the EXIF data of images that others have posted directly, you can use other programs. ExifTools, PhotoME and IExif are all popular. I have all three, but I use IExif as a browser plug-in so it's always accessible.

Here's an example of a photo posted directly, so you can use a third party app to view the EXIF data:
Attached Images

Last edited by TCav; Jan 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #34

Awesome info guys! I was able to find the EXIF data on Flickr like you mentioned - some was more informative and in other pictures there wasn't as much data. Still, great to see and compare what I'm doing to others. I also downloaded and installed an EXIF program that I can leave docked and just drag a picture from Safari into and get most of the data that way.

Thanks again - everyone here is really helping me along and I really appreciate it!
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:27 AM   #35

Your camera is a very advanced tool and it contains millions of pixels. This is good if you want to print your images, but what if you want to share those photographs online? Many websites won’t even let you upload high resolution images, while others like Facebook will down-size them for you, automatically lowering the resolution and quality of those photographs. Because this automated photo reduction process is often not optimized for best quality, it can make your resized photo appear soft and might even result in loss of colors. To prevent that, it is always a good idea to properly resize your images before you use them online. This way, you are in full control of how your photo should look.

Last edited by ibecamewe; Jun 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM.
ibecamewe is offline   Reply With Quote