Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:02 PM   #1

Default samsung...???

Does any one know anything about samsung cameras, it seems that they are very unpopular on this board. I want to know about the samsung digimax v3...i think thats what its called. no one does any reviews on this camera only the v4.. please help the cluless new guy out.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:05 AM   #2

i guess not on this board........oh well.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 6:07 AM   #3

Some cameras are not widely used, they are also not widley reviewed. That all mixes together to more silence...Does not persee mean the camera is crap. Look at http://www.pbase.com/image/20748715
What causes the foreground to be so terrible green? A lamp? Flash?
Other examples without the extreem green.
http://fotopic.net/community/cameras/?c=981
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 6:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-d
i guess not on this board........oh well.
You should give people more than 5 hours to answer. Maybe someone on the other part of the world who was asleep during those 5 hours might have posted an answer, but now will say what's the point.

As for not many messages about Samsung, guess people prefer digital cameras who have high quality optical counterparts...rather than from a general electronics company; have to say though I love my Samsung monitor!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5

that does make sence. I didn;t even think that people someware are asleep whein im awake....my bad.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:12 PM   #6

The Samsung Digimax V3 was slightly put into a round-up of digital cameras at Tom's Hardware Guide, and they said that it was a "little surprise" because it was "good". They said, however, that the Canon A70 is better all-around, but the Samsung fares pretty well too.

There's deals online right now that you can get one of these Samsung Digimax V3 digital cameras for about $150. For 3.2 MP and 3X optical zoom (the lens by the way is Schneider Kreuznach, which I have heard is high quality), that's a great deal.

It supports 9 types of battery sources too (just a random fact).
PeterDLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:30 PM   #7
Administrator

Most Digital Cameras can take pretty nice photos in good, even lighting.

Where you generally start seeing one model perform signficantly better than another is indoors, or where uneven lighting is present.

Then, differences in cameras' metering, white balance and image processing algorithms become much more obvious. Even lens quality differences can become quite apparent in high contrast lighting conditions.

If I were you, I'd want to see very thorough reviews of a model like this, with sample photos in a variety of lighting conditions. I'd also want to know about things like startup time, autofocus lag (and low light focus performance), cycle times, etc.

Although Megapixel.net gave the V4 high marks for image quality, they are often less critical than some other reviewers (like Dave Etchells or Phil Askey).

Also, Megapixel.net noted that the V4 was "A bit slow for 2 consecutive photos".

So, what is "a bit slow"?

I'd want to know exactly what to expect (autofocus lag, cycle times, etc.), as well as noise levels and image quality under a wide variety of conditions, before considering a purchase of a model from Samsung.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote