Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Default Trouble with pictures from DSLR.

I finally brought my Canon Rebel XSi on a vacation to California. While I was on he beach today taking photos of the sunset, a blurry spot appeared. The spot it just the size of an 'o', but it is very prominent, especially in the sunset photos. I didn't change the lens at all, I didn't drop the camera, or put it down on the beach or anything, it randomly popped out of nowhere!
So, when I got home I started trying to figure out where this spot was coming from. I transferred the photos onto the computer, and they were there. Not an LCD problem. So then I changed the lens, and it was still there. The only weird part about this is that we found a little chip on my lens around the same spot (I think the chip is on the inside), but it's not a lens problem!

I definitely will not be missing out on photos, I'll just Photoshop them out, but it's still a pain in the a**, and I'd rather have it fixed NOW. Has this happened to anyone before? If so, how did you fix it?! Will warranty still cover the problems when I get back if I bought the camera in October? The camera and lens has not encountered ANY physical damage, has never been dropped, handled roughly, etc. I baby my camera like you wouldn't believe..I just want my $1200 to be OK.
JadeAngeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2

Jadeangeli

It sounds like a lot pixel, but I will leave it at that, awaiting one of the experts to check in on this issue.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3

Warranty should cover both the camera and the lens if you brought it in oct.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:34 PM   #4

To the left of the 2 seagulls on the left of the photo. It's like that on every photo.
JadeAngeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5

It may be something on the sensor. But I would send the lens back that has the crack.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:24 AM   #6

If it's there in every photo, it's a particle on the image sensor. It's in relatively good focus, so it wouldn't be on the lens anywhere. You can clean it yourself, or you can pay a local camera shop to do it for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:10 AM   #7
Administrator

Yep. It's probably a spec of dust or lint on your sensor. It will probably be more noticeable if you're shooting against a bright sky at smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers), and less noticeable using wider apertures (smaller f/stop numbers). This site may help (and I'd try a bulb type blower first)

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:29 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Yep, this is very much like a foreign object on the sensor so go with what Jim is suggesting. As for the 'chip' on the lens, this might not cause any noticeable problems at all. After the cleaning then you can start testing the lens but think you will be fine.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:20 PM   #9

Had the same problem on my Nikon D70. Mine was a smudge on the mirror.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:58 PM   #10
Administrator

A smudge on the mirror would not show up in images (the mirror flips out the way when you take a photo, so the image from the lens can go through to the sensor or film with an SLR type camera). See the diagrams on these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._reflex_camera
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote