Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:08 PM   #11

Default Re: photo processing wierdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphuk100
I have a casio QV-R40 and a sandisk 64mb SD card. (I think the card is the error). When I take the card into my local supermarket to have prints developed EVERYTHING on the memory card gets duplicated. Despite their only being say 56 pics on their it tells me there is double that and shows duplicate image ID's.
It's not a computer error - it's an administrative one. If you inspect the files on your card (using Windows Explorer via the USB port, for example), you'll find an extra folder called 'Preview' within the folder for each day's photographs. Inside this are the 640x480 images used to give a quick preview or slide show on the camera's LCD monitor.

When you send this to a processor, they don't notice the difference, and print all the jpg files to be found on the card, so you get duplicates. You need a better informed processor, if any exist. Alternatively delete the 'preview' folders before sending the card for printing.

You won't have lost anything, because if your Casio is like my QV-5700 it will recreate the preview folder when you put the card back in the camera. All this is explained under 'file structure' in the CD version of the manual, if your camera is like mine.

My local camera shop has to cope with numerous customer complaints just like this.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:48 PM   #12

I shall have a look in the manual then for that thanks
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:50 PM   #13

Ha! have worked it out. For anyone else having this problem:

Casio cameras are unique (apparently) in their ability to create a web album on the fly. Therefore you have a pic directory (casio100) and album directory (album). In the album dir are lots of 320x240 images - copies of all of the ones on there - deleting these will probably fix the problem im guessing as it means there will only be one copy of each image. Hopefully I can turn off the album as I never use it!
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:20 PM   #14

Default Duplicate photo-printer prints from Casio digicams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphuk100
Hopefully I can turn off the album as I never use it!
On my Casio QV-5700 I have the menu item "Web browser" turned to "Off" routinely, but the camera nevertheless *still* adds a folder called "Preview" within each day's folder, containing a 30K or so 640x480 version of every frame. You may therefore still get the problem even if you switch off the 'web album' facility.

I think it will *still* be necessary to use a computer to delete this folder from the card if the printer simply searches the card for all jpg files and prints them.

I'll ask my friendly local computer shop (www.wrexcam.com) on Monday to see if this problem is unique to Casio. I'll also post this message to the Casio forum to see if other owners have addressed your problem.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote