Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How should lens/lense be spelt?
Lens is the only correct spelling 20 76.92%
Lense is the only correct spelling 0 0%
It is acceptable to use either lens or lense 1 3.85%
Who cares, Mark is obviously too bored. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:41 AM   #21

I was taught that a trailing 'e' was silent, and meant that the previous vowel should be pronounced with a long vowel sound. That would mean that 'lense' would be pronounced the same as the word 'leans'.

I don't find it annoying, as I understand and forgive shortcomings in others, and only choose to correct their best efforts so as to prevent them from embarrassing themselves in their dealings with others in the future.

What I do find annoying is when someone intentionally misspells something, or uses improper grammar because they are lazy. I do forgive the non-use of such tenses as Present Perfect, Pluperfect and Future Perfect, however.

I also frogive the errors of poeple who suffer from Dyslexia of the figners, becasue that is an afflictoin that we share.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No, but what really ticks me off is "colour"!

racist...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
We, non native English spoken miserable people, we ask for your pardon and offer our sincere apologies for our displeasing spelling and misuse of the venerable, victorious English language.
Alas! We deserve correction and damnation and obliteration and oblivion!

Never ever forget...english is the superior language!!!!

Oh but in Canada it's french too.....Bonjour

I could give a fat rats ass about spelling and grammar...because i ain't good at it..lol...I never discount the message because of it either. Some folks...(teachers mostly) are so engrossed in the technicalities of the written or spoken word that they miss out on some of the message in the message......(not speaking about Mark tho)

My boss used to just piss me off about my reports...fact is ..she didn't understand engineering and its terms, and tried to 'edit' (dumb broad)..I say 'used to' because i got rid of her...LOL
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:04 PM   #24

I also have trouble with that "i before e" thing, so I don't hold that against anybody else either.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:37 PM   #25

I'm hoping this thread dies a rapid death, so I won't have to keep seeing the title - which I find very annoying...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:32 PM   #26

The European Union comissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased witk "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 persent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al will agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After ze fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Happy New Year, all.

Almar.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:48 PM   #27

(12 Smilie Limit?)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:50 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
The European Union comissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased witk "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 persent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al will agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After ze fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Happy New Year, all.

Almar.
LOL
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:47 AM   #29
Super Moderator

The only thing that regularly annoys me is "loose" when "lose" is meant.

The most fun book I have read on the subject is:

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Tongue-...331874&sr=8-12

A bit of a wake-up to language snobs. A surprising number of "correct" English spellings have actually deviated over the last few hundred years and the American spelling is actually closer to the old English.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:28 PM   #30

[QUOTE=TCav;1032465]I was taught that a trailing 'e' was silent, and meant that the previous vowel should be pronounced with a long vowel sound. That would mean that 'lense' would be pronounced the same as the word 'leans'.

I believe that this is only operative when the the vowel is separated by one consonant.

What I do find annoying is when someone intentionally misspells something, or uses improper grammar because they are lazy. I do forgive the non-use of such tenses as Present Perfect, Pluperfect and Future Perfect, however.

I was going to simply ignore this, but perhaps, in a few days I will have forgiven you.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote