Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How should lens/lense be spelt?
Lens is the only correct spelling 20 76.92%
Lense is the only correct spelling 0 0%
It is acceptable to use either lens or lense 1 3.85%
Who cares, Mark is obviously too bored. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:04 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Is it just me or does the spelling lense really annoy other people?

Having trained as a teacher some things in either spelling or grammar annoy me when I see them.

The spelling 'lense' is one of these and I come across it quite a lot when as I enjoy perusing photographic forums.

I'm English so the Oxford English Dictionary is the authority as far as I'm concerned and for my American friends then it is probably Websters. It isn't possible to find the spelling 'lense' on either of the sites and the same goes for Google Spell Check, Word etc etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:38 AM   #2
Administrator

I have read a lot of posts from Cannon users discussing how well they're lense works. Are you sure your not mistaken? ;-)

Actually, it doesn't bother me at all. My spelling and grammar often leave a lot to be desired. From my perspective, as long as we can understand what a poster is trying to get across, that's all that matters.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:42 AM   #3

No, but what really ticks me off is "colour"!

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Oops... I should have checked that post more carefully. Here is the corrected version:

ah have read a lot of posts fum Kinnon users discussin' how fine they're lense wawks. Is yo' sho'nuff yer not mistaken? ;-) Acshully, it don't bother me at all, ah reckon. Mah spellin' an' grammar offen leave a lot t'be desuhed, cuss it all t' tarnation. Fum mah perspeckive, as long as we kin unnerstan' whut a poster is tryin' t'git acrost, thass all thet matters.

I used this tool to check the spelling and grammar:

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:50 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

Do you use a gray card or a grey card to set a custom white balance? :-)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

Colour, honour, labour, etc are British/Canadian spellings. In Canada, a great many of the British spellings have been replaced with American ones. Having grown up using the "our" spellings I find it very hard to change my old habits.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:57 AM   #7
Administrator

Another thing we need to consider is that English is not the native language for many members.

Of course, that's no excuse for my poor grammar and spelling. :-)

But, that kind of thing doesn't bother me (spelling errors, grammar errors, misused words, etc.), as long as I can understand what the poster is trying to say.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:57 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Ah, the opening of a can of worms...... most enjoyable!! LOL.

Color/colour doesn't worry me as they are both accepted as correct spellings in the appropriate countries.

Jim, you are correct, Cannon is another error but fortunately it is not so often used.

Also with English not being the first language of people then that's perfectly fine and we can help out with a quick lesson LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:14 AM   #9

It seems to me illiteracy reigns supreme. Some whose English is second language use it better than those who barely use it as a first and only language. I sure dont agree with JimC about being able to understand it is good enough. Its fine if you are illiterate and go with the flow but even grammar mistakes just waste time when you have to reread something for the second or third time to understand what is meant. Since the age of the computer everyone has to type and I can see people hitting the wrong key, but they can read and there is spelling checker. I often Americanize words like color, honor, lite, nite to save a couple of keystrokes and also because I believe thats how they should be spelled. But mistakes like their, there, they're, were, where, we're when used incorrectly drive me nuts because it just shows the person to be a moron. And Im talking here of those whose language is English. I think its just a reflection of the age we live in, in which second best is ok, and mediocrity is the norm. Being in advertising all my working life and having had a great education which included English as a subject, Ive seen the slide to stupidity for many years. Being given copy to create an ad which was almost incoherent and written by the class clown always used to drive me nuts. But remember that old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't put him down if he refuses to drink. Oops I just dropped my lense cap.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:16 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Also with English not being the first language of people then that's perfectly fine and we can help out with a quick lesson LOL.
If you correct a poster's spelling, you could embarrass them. Instead, I'd suggest using the correct spelling in any replies (Canon, Lens, etc.). That way, they'll probably notice that you spelled a word differently and realize that their spelling is incorrect, without calling it to their attention in a more obvious (and potentially embarrassing) manner.

Frankly, when someone acts as a forum's "spelling police", I find it very annoying, unless the meaning of the post wasn't understandable.

You'll find members with a wide variety of backgrounds and education levels in forums, and as long as members can understand each other, that's the important thing.