Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:59 AM   #11

Very nice image! And thanks for the comments.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:31 AM   #12

I've been shooting digital for ten years or so, including some very cold winters. Never had a camera malfunction because of the cold. I carry them under my jacket in extreme cold.
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:51 AM   #13
Administrator

Olympus claims this about their Stylus Tough series:

Quote:
Freezeproof for Arctic Adventures

Whether you're in the arctic tundra or building a snowman in your backyard, the STYLUS TOUGH-8000 and STYLUS TOUGH-6000 cameras still perform when the temperature dips well below freezing (14 degrees Fahrenheit; -10 degrees Celsius). Stylus Tough series cameras continue to allow you to take great images in freezing situations where most traditional cameras would fail.
But, even if the temperature is colder than that, the camera may not reach those temperatures if it's not constantly exposed to the elements.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html

Now, I have seen posts discussing ways to minimize condensation related issues before, suggesting putting the camera in a plastic bag before going back inside and leaving it there until the camera warms up to help prevent condensation.

See the posts in this thread by BillDrew for an example

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...aphy-tips.html

The earlier post by Walter_S in this thread is using a similar technique (only with his camera bag versus a plastic bag).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:36 AM   #14

Different folks have very different ideas of what "cold" is. I think of it as temperatures where the ice on a lake booms and trees make gunshot sounding bangs as they are split by their sap freezing. Forty below or colder. Real air temperature, not wind chill.

I was in Rio in July (middle of their winter) and people were putting on sweaters because the temperature dropped below 80F (27C).

The colder it is, the more care you have to take. Esp dealing with condensation.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:58 AM   #15
Administrator

Cold is when your car won't start. I just tried to start my car a few minutes ago, and it won't turn over, and I don't see any evidence that I left on any lights or anything.

I'll try to jump it when my wife gets home from Church.

It's only 32 degrees (Farenheit) here now, but I think the low was down in the 20's last night (about the coldest night we've seen here so far this winter). I guess I'm going to need a new battery (cables and connectors appear to be fine, and it was working OK yesterday).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:14 AM   #16

Warm here today: sixteen below (F, -26C) when we got up. Car started right up.

Should get up to 0F before the sun vanishes behind the hill about three. Same as yesterday.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:05 PM   #17

Default cold temps

I live in Northern Manitoba, Canada and do lots of photography and do lots on very cold conditions, One adventure took me out Caribou hunting in -60C i was using my SonyW1 and it worked fine, i had to take quick shots and then back in my pocket, it is a great camera still use it today as it fits in pocket nice. I now use the Sony H50 and have recently had it out in -40C taking pictures it did react somewhat slow but it took great pictures for me, I have not had any issues yet with cold pictures, just keeping my lense clear going in and out of cold and warm areas, here is a couple shots in -40C ice fishing Northern Manitoba

Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I live in Northern Manitoba, Canada and do lots of photography and do lots on very cold conditions, One adventure took me out Caribou hunting in -60C
-76 farenheit? You sure this wasn't the North Pole?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:12 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
-76 farenheit? You sure this wasn't the North Pole?

Dave
and here i was complaining it got to 5 above last night.......
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:11 PM   #20

The advise about moving the camera from hot to cold to hgot to cold quickly is very good. I sometimes have issues when it is cold outside and taking pictures of a fire and go inside the house -- the lens gets all cloudy until it gets adjusted to the temperature.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote