Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
and here i was complaining it got to 5 above last night.......
was 18 at 9am this morning. My noise would not stop running.....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:03 PM   #22

Default cold shots

Couple outdoor shots today in the cold with SonyH50, had this fox playing with my ice fishing tip up while fishing on a lake

Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:48 PM   #23

You are missing the shot where the fox pulls the fish out of the hole :-)

I very much disagree with the idea of repeatedly moving the camera back and forth from warm to cold, i.e., from under your coat to the cold and back. I like letting the camera get cold and stay cold until I go inside - when it is put in a plastic bag BEFORE going to a warm area. No problem with chemical or electronic cameras in the past forty or so years doing that.

Seeing fogging on your camera or lens is exactly what you want to avoid - that is water. Not good. Not even if it is under your coat.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:13 PM   #24

people take pictures on the summit of Everest and in Antarctica all the time, so if they work there, im sure they will work for you.

Last edited by HeavyBird; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyBird View Post
...so if they work there, im sure they will work for you.
Of course they work almost everywhere, but, from the expenses involved to climb that mountain, I have a feeling that those guys on Mnt. Everest do not concern themselfes too much about whether their camera will still work after 6 monts or so. For them, a camera is an expendable tool, for me its an investment I want to take care.

The discussion here is more about how you can contribute to have a camera that can tak shots in the cold AND survive the winter so you have a working one next summer as well....
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:22 PM   #26

I've used a camera with rechargeable AA batteries often below freezing and the biggest problem I had was battery life. I never tried to keep the camera warm (and never had trouble with it), but I found keeping the spare batteries in an inside pocket seemed to make a difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:58 PM   #27

My D1x, never particulerly strong on battery life, normally gave me about 150 shots; in very cold weather, mayby 20. But if I put the battery into an internal pocket, an hour latter I could get another 20. I used to carry four or five batteries...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I've used a camera with rechargeable AA batteries often below freezing and the biggest problem I had was battery life. I never tried to keep the camera warm (and never had trouble with it), but I found keeping the spare batteries in an inside pocket seemed to make a difference.
I have used as many as 4 sets of NiMH AAs when shooting 100 shots in cold weather, cycling them between the camera and inside pockets. Energizer Lithiums are much better under these conditions.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:36 PM   #29

Used my Sony D-SLR on the scene of a working fire scene Friday night. The air temperature 18 degrees and I was about to fire off almost 300 images in about 90 minutes and still had over 50% of the battery left. Was surprised I got so many images with that much battery left. if it matters was shooting with a 50-150 f/2.8 lens at ISO 800 and 1600 on the A Mode.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote