Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:22 PM   #1

Default IXUS 400 Vs Konica KD-510Z

Hi all,

I'm contemplating a new digital camera and have narrowed the choice down to 2 models - IXUS 400 & Konica 510. I'm aware that the Canon is 4MP & Konica is 5MP but I will v.rarely be looking to enlarge prints so that's not a big issue. From reading some of the discussions it seems the Konica is slightly better on general image quality (colour, autofocus & more manual control). Looking at spec there's not much between these two except a v.slight size difference and the IXUS can record up to 3 min movies whereas the Konica 510 only records up to 30 secs, I maybe wrong here, can someone advise?

I've looked at quite a few other models inc. Casio Exilem Z4 & Optio S4 but decided against these because according to reviews the image quality on these isn't as good as the IXUS or Konica.

Any help/comments will be much appreciated, thanks.

Raj
rgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:54 PM   #2
Administrator

I think the Canon S400 is a nice little camera, although I haven't personally used one.

You may want to read through this post I made in the forums at dpreview.com

It includes links to some comments from users who have owned both the Canon S400 and the Konica KD-510z (Minolta DiMAGE G500):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6696359

Let me know if I can answer any questions about the Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:44 AM   #3

Default IXUS 400 Vs Konica KD-510Z

Many thanks for your reply Jim,

Could you please let me know which manual controls the 510 has? As I understand it has more than the IXUS. Is the movie mode on the 510 limited to 30 secs? Or is it possible to record longer movies if you have more memory?

Your help is much appreciated,

Thanks
rgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Administrator

If you check out my album from this model at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z , you will find links to my user review, which goes into detail on the manual exposure features.

As for the movies, you are limited to 30 second clips (but you can have more than one movie clip on a memory card).

This was not a consideration for me (I never use a digital still camera for movies).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote