Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:48 PM   #11

mike_1, thank you for your reply, yes, in order to read the exif data you need a program which will let you right-click on the pic, then open up the program. I used Opanda with IE7 and it worked fine, just not with GC

TCav It sounds like you were using something like Opanda's IExif to see the photo info. I know that IExif only works with IE and FireFox. Maybe that's your problem.

You are exactly right!

Hards80 i have been using google chrome for a few months. i like the clean, non-encroaching ui and the speed.

the Exif Reader plugin works pretty well actually.

I felt the same about GC, but I found the add-on exif reader just doesn't give enough information.gjtoth FWIW, Opera has it built-in.

Thanks Gary, I may have to look at that one later, I hadn't heard of it until I started this thread.

Ordo I've tried both and keep IE7. Speed is almost the same, and that little loupe in the bottom right is a blessing.

I actually found GC to be more trouble free and faster, at least on my machine...

JimC Where to start? You are, as usual, a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to computers. In the end, I downloaded Firefox, and it is way better than IE7. I then downloaded Photo ME, and it beats Opanda IExif, IMO. One more tiny problem you may have an answer to. When using Firefox, Steve's doesn't remember my login info, so I have to log in each time I come here. It could be Firefox, I don't know. Any suggestions there? Thanks for all the help thus far to everyone!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:15 PM   #12
Administrator

It should remember it. When you log in, you'll see a "Remember Me" check box where you type your member name and password. If you click on that box to check it, you shouldn't have to log in again if using the same PC.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It should remember it. When you log in, you'll see a "Remember Me" check box where you type your member name and password. If you click on that box to check it, you shouldn't have to log in again if using the same PC.
Once again, you are right. I DID have that box checked, but what I didn't do was UN check the box in privacy settings to allow the computer to retain the passwords, and not delete them when I closed the browser(if that makes any sense). All seems to be well now..

Again, thanks for your invaluable assistance!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:57 PM   #14
Administrator

Gotcha. LOL

Yes, I don't normally use the private browsing features (although that would probably be a good idea). I use Linux most of the time so I'm not as concerned about keyloggers and trojans, etc. that may be trying to steal any of my data. I guess that kind of thing (private browsing) is also useful if you think someone may have physical access to your PC and want to see what you've been doing.

Of course, no operating system is totally secure, especially if you're not careful to install software from trusted sources. But, I'm a lot more comfortable using Linux since very little malware is going to target it since it's harder to do anything to the OS by default. I try not to log into the forums from Windows unless absolutely necessary.

With Windows, you may also want to use something like Sandboxie to help isolate your browsing from the rest of the operating system as an added measure of protection.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

But, one problem with that solution is that if you already have undetected malicious software using keyloggers on your PC, they could intercept any keystrokes before it gets to the applications running inside of it. Unfortunately, the criminals developing that kind of thing are getting to be smarter and smarter anymore, learning more and more ways to evade detection. It's big business and they've got lots of smart programmers working on developing newer malware all the time.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:00 PM   #15

Quote:
I try not to log into the forums from Windows unless absolutely necessary.
Such different experiences. In 2001 I created and administrated a literary forum (in Spanish of course). About 1600 members. Infopop licence. It lasted more than 2 years until I got tired. Never had a problem with IE. Now I visit and post in 7 forums (mostly literary) and never had a problem with IE.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:15 PM   #16
Administrator

I don't like to risk it. I've seen far too much malware that remained undetected for too long before the malware prevention products figured out what to look for.

Now, I am starting to run everything I may want to install in Windows through http://www.virustotal.com

You can upload a file and they run it through over 40 scan engines and give you the results. But, if you look at the stats, there's still a lot of it that most scan engines miss. Scroll down to the failure detection section of this page and you can see some of that kind of thing:

http://www.virustotal.com/estadisticas.html

Here's a post about a recent real world example of a program that wasn't recognized by most scanners:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1016400
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:33 PM   #17

Better be sure, but come on: Red: 68560 Infected files which one or more antivirus engines failed to detect as a threat. Blue: 1023 Infected files detected by all antivirus engines.
BTW: you're having troubles with some code here.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:53 PM   #18
Administrator

Well... keep in mind that we've got many times the amount of malware in circulation now compared to a few years back, with new variants coming out faster than the malware protection products can keep up with them.

For example, see this page for an interesting read. Panda noted over 25 Million new strains of malware in 2009. That's more than in it's 20 year history combined prior to 2009. ;-)

http://pandalabs.pandasecurity.com/

It never ceases to amaze me how much malware a PC can pick up. So, I lean towards products with a higher detection rate, and don't trust any one product (since none of them are very good at detecting new strains anymore), even though I don't run Windows very much.

Right this minute, that's Avira Antivir (since it's detection rate for newer malware is higher than most other products right now), combined with Spybot S&D (because I like it's Teatimer feature that stops anything from modifying or adding registry entries unless I OK it, adding known malware sites to the hosts file to block them), with frequent scans using other products like Malwarebytes and more (even scanning the Windows partitions while running in Linux with even more products like F-Prot on a frequent basis, in case the products I'm running under Windows let something slip through).

See the graphs on page 5 of this .pdf showing detection rates of new malware (and even the better ones missed a lot):

http://www.av-comparatives.org/...images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report24.pdf

They base their Award Levels on number of false positives, too (which is about the only reason some of these are rated as high as they are). But, fewer false positives won't help you if you have criminals stealing your data. None of them are very good at newer malware (hence the need to check with more than one product). Avira is leading in that area right now based on the last AV Comparatives tests I looked at. Unfortunately, a lot of the malware is not just "nuisance" type anymore either. I've also been amazed at how much malware I've found on older drives I've plugged into to locate data on when scanning them with newer products, when I was running AVG (updated daily, with full scans daily) when I used them last.

Do a google search and see how many commercial keyloggers claim to be totally undetectable by malware scanners (and I'd expect just as much work to go into malware products designed to do the same thing):

http://www.google.com/#q=keylogger+undetectable

For example, here's a quote from one of them:

"Another critical benefit of this program is that it is 100% stealth and undetectable by all anti-virus and anti-spyware software. All log files created by Actual Spy are encrypted and impossible to read, even if detected or accidentally stumbled upon, and the program itself is password protected."

http://www.actualspy.com/articles/re...eystrokes.html

There are sites dedicated to the discussion of new rootkits and how to make them as stealthy as possible. Here's one example:

http://www.rootkit.com/

Look at some of the articles you'll find there discussing how some of the new variants can even bypass and avoid detection by many software firewalls.

IOW, I tend to lean towards being more cautious if I'm going to log into the forums as an Admin user, trying to avoid using Windows unless absolutely necessary.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:50 AM   #19
Administrator

P.S.

And again, as I mentioned earlier....

Quote:
Of course, no operating system is totally secure, especially if you're not careful to install software from trusted sources.
I think sometimes Linux and Mac users have a false sense of security, because most malware is going to target Windows, and it's a harder to write malware for a Linux environment because you have to flag any binaries as executable after it's on the target machine.

But, as time passes, I think we'll probably start seeing non-Windows operating systems targeted more frequently, too.

Just recently, I was browsing a thread about a malicious script that gets installed from what was supposed to be a screen saver for Linux. See this thread about it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349678

So, if you install software from untrusted sources, you're asking for trouble, regardless of the operating system you're using.

One of the things that probably makes me more vulnerable is that I often check links posted by new forum members to their web sites, software they're promoting as free (which may not really be free, and only trial downloads designed to try and sell that software), or a page with malicious code embedded trying to target vulnerabilities on unpatched systems. So, when I check out those kinds of things to see if it's just spam or someone trying to help others with a new tool they found useful, I'm putting myself at greater risk. Hence, my use of Linux versus Windows to reduce the chance of malware able to install itself in a way that's going to compromise my PC.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:14 AM   #20

You certainly have much more active forum members and a lot of external links to take care. We had almost none external links. The people posted narrations and poems. That makes a huge difference.