Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Default Question about Google Chrome

I was "talked into" trying Google Chrome about a week ago, and it seems to be an improvement over IE7, at least where speed is a concern. When I right-click on a pic here in the forums, I no longer get the same drop-down menu( exif info, save as, properties, etc.), that I got with IE7. I can't figure out why, and wondered if any one else has tried GC and if they have the same problem?
Any response would be welcome!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:03 AM   #2

Hi Robert,

Not sure whether this is helpful.

I've never used Chrome and I use Firefox instead of IE. However, I just started IE7 and right-clicked on one of the pics in this forum. I get no option that offers exif info.

I suspect that, at some point, you - or one of your PP applications - added this function to IE. And it doesn't do the same for Chrome.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:58 AM   #3

It sounds like you were using something like Opanda's IExif to see the photo info. I know that IExif only works with IE and FireFox. Maybe that's your problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:38 AM   #4
Administrator

It looks like a few extensions are available for Chrome now. Here's what I get searching them for exif. You'll have to try them to see if they work with photos here or not.

http://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=exif
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:53 AM   #5

FWIW, Opera has it built-in.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:43 AM   #6
Administrator

There are a number of plugins available for Firefox if you haven't given it a try.

I use Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin most of the time, since it's cross platform (works in Firefox regardless of your operating system). You can tell it to display basic data only, or more information via check boxes.

Another cross platform Exif Viewer for Firefox is FxiF. It has basic EXIF info available.

For windows, a popular Exif viewer is Opanda IExif

Note that you need to install the Windows Explorer version first, then install the Firefox plugin.

Another product that gives you a menu in a number of browsers including Opera, IE, Firefox and more is PhotoME. But, I don't see anything about Google Chrome listed in it's features. It's a little "heavier" than the others, since it loads a larger program if you right click on an image. But, it gives you a lot of data, including interpretation of more maker notes compared to most similar programs. It's Windows only (although it also runs in Wine under Linux).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It looks like a few extensions are available for Chrome now. Here's what I get searching them for exif. You'll have to try them to see if they work with photos here or not.

http://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=exif
i have been using google chrome for a few months. i like the clean, non-encroaching ui and the speed.

the Exif Reader plugin works pretty well actually.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:34 PM   #8
Administrator

I tried it earlier and it seems a bit "too clean" by default. IOW, I'll have to dig around to figure out how to actually use it (bookmarks, etc.). :-)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:42 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I tried it earlier and it seems a bit "too clean" by default. IOW, I'll have to dig around to figure out how to actually use it (bookmarks, etc.). :-)
Found it (the Star icon to the left of the address bar). I was expecting to see that kind of thing when right clicking on a page.

It does seem very fast (at least the version I'm running right now under Linux). But, I'm not sure I'd want to do without some of the add-ons I use in Firefox (including tools to "spoof the UA" for sites that are not Firefox or Linux friendly (i.e., require IE to work properly); tools to enable or disable colors, javascript, flash, etc. with a check box in the tool bar; integration with proxy servers and more. But, I guess more extensions will be developed for Chrome as time passes (and some like that may already be available for it).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:14 PM   #10

I've tried both and keep IE7. Speed is almost the same, and that little loupe in the bottom right is a blessing.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote