Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:27 PM   #21

I agree with Tulio. I do hope Samsung 'pulls a Sony' and buys a ready made camera company...Pentax.

I recall reading back a few years ago that the then Pentax executives were not happy about Hoya buying Pentax.

Some comments from Hoya seem to indicate their heart isn't really into the Pentax DSLR line...but then they did bring out the K7 , the KM and the KX and are talking about the 645 D coming out...so who's to know what the deal is ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:36 AM   #22

Thanks, Sarah.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:02 PM   #23

There are several forces in motion here. One of them is the overall industry along with the various trends in play. Samsung is very large in cell phones, and cell phones have been including cameras for some time. The limitation according to industry sources is not the electronics for the phones, but the lens. Samsung needs a good optics house in order to figure out how to integrate/package a first class lens in to a phone. Pentax needs additional control over the sensor and FAB processing in order to hold down costs and increase sensor capabilities (noise reduction, etc.) and other features (ala the K7/K20 sensor versus the KX sensor). So with a Samsung/Pentax combination they each benefit on the sensor side. I don't know if Samsung is so much into the camera segment so as to grow a new business or to gain expertise and experience in order to fold it back into the cell phone.

Just my take of what I see.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #24

Well, Samsung is already big in the video market, offering a huge variety of TVs and DVD players. So, they are already a big player in the digital imaging segment. Photography is just another facet of the segment, and a very profitable one. The thing is, it's not easy to compete with the old, well established players in this segment. Brand recognition is just about everything. Many people buy Canon and Nikon because of the name and not necessarily the product. I know some people who will not consider a micro 4/3 system because they are not offered by Canon or Nikon and not because they don't like the system. So, the only way to break into this type of market is to come in with a name and Pentax offers that, if nothing else.

Tullio
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:42 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
T I don't know if Samsung is so much into the camera segment so as to grow a new business or to gain expertise and experience in order to fold it back into the cell phone.
Samsung is one of the largest manufacturers of digital cameras behind Canon and Sony: ;-)

Although I think IDC had them at number 4, one research firm had them in the number 3 spot for 2007:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080220/147706/

http://blog2.1001noisycameras.com/20...l-numbers.html

Although I haven't seen global market share numbers for 2008 (since IDC didn't issue a press release with those numbers as it's done in the past and wants $3500 for it's report), Samsung announced it had 9% percent of the global market share for digital cameras in 2008 and was targeting 10% for 2009:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009...s_30093622.php

IOW, from all outward appearances, Samsung may be the third largest manufacturer of digital cameras behind Canon and Sony.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:44 PM   #26
Administrator

BTW, the IDC numbers for global digital camera market share do not include camera phones, PC phones or video cameras. Samsung is a much bigger player than many people realize.

Again, I haven't seen the 2008 numbers from IDC (since they didn't publish them in a press release as they have for some of the previous years). But, you can get their 2008 Market Share report for a bargain price of only $3500. ;-)

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=217648

Chances are, they'll have the 2009 numbers ready within the next few months. But, we'll have to wait and see if they publish the numbers in a press release or not.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Well, Samsung is already big in the video market, offering a huge variety of TVs and DVD players. So, they are already a big player in the digital imaging segment. Photography is just another facet of the segment, and a very profitable one. The thing is, it's not easy to compete with the old, well established players in this segment. Brand recognition is just about everything. Many people buy Canon and Nikon because of the name and not necessarily the product. I know some people who will not consider a micro 4/3 system because they are not offered by Canon or Nikon and not because they don't like the system. So, the only way to break into this type of market is to come in with a name and Pentax offers that, if nothing else.
I know a few people at specialty camera stores and they say Canon and Nikon's dominating presence in advertising makes a huge difference. Newbies come into the store and ask for a Canon or Nikon featured in this advert, not even aware of any other camera make.

They also say Pentax is one of the great secrets of the camera industry...only those who really know cameras or are long time Pentax owners are aware of them, but the same can be said of Olympus.

Sony....Sony DSLRs are available at all the specialty camera stores here, but rarely do you see one in use. A lot less Sony DSLR's seen in use then Pentax. Olympus DSLR is very rarely in use...about the same as Sony. In fact the long time Sony store in town, closed their doors recently.

Not a reflection on the good quality. In Sony's case I don't see much advertisng out there, by Sony, which surprises me as Sony is big.

Canon and Nikon seem to have the market up here wrapped up real well...with Pentax third, going by sightings.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:46 AM   #28
Administrator

Actually, Sony has been increasing Market Share in the dSLR niche at a rather brisk pace, and they're in a very strong third place behind Nikon and Canon in world wide market share. Pentax, Olympus, etc., don't even come close. For example, in 2008, Sony shipped more dSLRs than all other manufacturers excluding Canon and Nikon combined. ;-)

Here's one article on the subject (the link is for google's translation from German):

http://translate.google.com/translat...Welt-im-Wandel

According to Sony's last financials, they tripled their dSLR production during the last fiscal year (ending March 2009), too.

They were already in the number two spot behind Canon for non-dSLR market share (and their last financials implied that they may be leading again there, but I haven't seen any analysts numbers lately).

Keep in mind that what you see in one region, may not apply to another. When you look at world wide market share, Sony has been strong and getting stronger.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:00 AM   #29
Administrator

BTW, if you want to see some speculation on the subject, take a look at Thom Hogan's 2010 predictions:

http://www.bythom.com/2010predictions.htm

He's not always right with all of his predictions. But, Thom follows the market closely and the articles usually make for an interesting read (he does a similar predictions article on an annual basis).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:12 AM   #30

I agree that Sony has certainly become a strong player in the digital camera market, both P&S and DSLR. However, I think they may be spreading themselves too thin in the DSLR segment by offering so many different models. Although the differences between some of them are in some cases minimal, there is still a cost associated with each model in terms of QA testing, packaging, marketing, etc. I don't believe offering more and more models is necessarily the answer to success.

Tullio