Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:26 PM   #41

Samsung is the biggest consumer electric goods company out there, they will want to add pentax because it fills a void in their line up. And if that happens, watch out, the dealer network for pentax will explode. Samsung is everywhere.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:31 PM   #42
Administrator

I think manufacturers are deliberately trying to manufacturer models that are *not* directly comparable to each other for a variety of reasons, trying to avoid being in direct competition with a similar camera.

IOW, trying to find niches by themselves in one area or another in order to distinquish them. With the Sony models, a Live View mode that offers fast autofocus is one area they're different than most competitors. You don't get that in other dSLR offerings.

I'd probably consider the A500 to be the closest competitor to the D5000, since it's got a tilting LCD with a Sony 12MP Sensor. But, in some areas it's different, where one model offers features you don't find in the other. As for the T1i, that's a tough call. It's a higher resolution camera, so users looking for more megapixels (better or not), may want to look at a different model. .

If I were to speculate, I'd say that Nikon will probably jump on the bandwagon at some point and start offering models using the Sony 14MP sensor, too. That's just speculation. But, right or wrong, many users think more megapixels is better.

You'll see differences between any of the models in that market segment in a variety of areas. ;-)

So, from a marketing perspective, I can understand why a dSLR manufacturer may want to have more bases covered, to appeal to a variety of different consumers.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:04 PM   #43

Sony is doing very well in China and Latin America (Sony is the #1 dSLR brand in Mexico), they're doing well in Europe, but they're in single digits in Japan and North America.I think a big part of their current success is name recognition, and I think that Sony is going to have to work hard to keep up the momentum and to improve their numbers in Japan and North America.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:53 PM   #44
Administrator

I suspect that as Tulio implied in an earlier post with the "funny money" comments, that some of it is looked at as advertising money (i.e, getting the Sony brand name out there, by offering a lot of different types of products in a variety of Electronics Areas). But, they have stated they want to continue to grow market share in the dSLR niche. So, I suspect they're trying to come up with a plan to do that in more regions as time passes. I'd like to be a "fly on the wall" in some of the strategy meetings. Ditto for some of the camera design meetings. I can imagine there is a lot that goes on that we don't suspect, based on outward appearances from their published activity.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote