Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:39 PM   #11

Thanks Wildman Where ,what kind, and cost of a mat cutter .
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:02 AM   #12

I bought a Logan Team mat cutter for about $25 from my local framing shop where I get my mat remnants. Mine does nice bevel cuts when I cut from the backs of the mats. It takes fairly inexpensive replacement blades. You might be able to find a less expensive one if you look around. We're a captive audience here on the island where I live. You might be able to beat the price in a bigger market.

Mat remnants are a great deal... I get them for about $4 each. The ones I buy are big enough for two 16 X 20 frames plus some 8 X 10's from the inside "scraps". They even provided some smaller pieces to practice on.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:16 PM   #13

Thanks Wildman im going to check into this.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:15 PM   #14

Reviving an old topic.

For christmas, I was going to offer to buy the equipment and frame some of my dad's paintings with him. A semi-pro photographer friend suggested a Logan mat cutter as well. That seemed to be the brand of choice here too. He suggested the model # 301 (he could be remembering the number wrong.) What do others here use?

Needless to say, I don't have loads of time to act on this, so any and all ideas would be great.

I mentioned before that my friend has a frame that he really likes. The brand is:
Nielsen & Bainbridge

He like them because they assemble quick, they have no dust or crud on the glass (so you don't waste time cleaning) and they have good protective glass. Other than cheap (I don't know the cost) what else could you want?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:38 PM   #15

The logan 301 is ok, the 401 is preferable, quite a price jump though. Wife who is a framer says go with the 401 if possible.

We have a
C+H-equipment(Nielsen&Bainbridge)
Artmate mat cutter at home and use a fletcher 3001 at the gallery.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:43 PM   #16

Eric, the one I have is called the "Logan Team System" which has #525 as its model number. It includes the straight edge with a bevel cutter that rides on a rail on the straight edge, and it includes a mat knife (that I haven't used since I went out & bought a straight cutter to also ride on the rail), plus an instruction booklet, extra blades, and small mat boards to practice on. The only thing you need is either a large scrap piece of mat for a cutting surface or one of those self-healing cutting mats so you don't slice up the dining room table.

Whatever you do, don't buy just the cutter alone. The rail on that straight edge makes all the difference in the world.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote