Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Printing, framing, matting, mounting...

I finally printed out something I liked from my camera. I had cropped it to a square size. Today I brought it to my local frame store and spoke to the customer service person for a little over five minutes. I explained I wanted it framed inexpensively, and that if I succeed, I will frame more pictures. A custom size frame job would cost about $70. A regular sized frame with mounting would cost about $35. So I asked about any inexpensive alternatives to frames. There must be a cheaper way to display prints. I think she mentioned foam board. So I figured maybe I could just glue the print to a piece of that. I asked her if it comes in different colors and she thought it only comes in white. So I went to the paper store in the same plaza and bought a large piece of black foam board and an exacto knife. Today I cut the foam board and glued the print using a glue stick for photo paper. It didn't work. So I used tack glue and it stuck beautifully. Now it's displayed on my bathroom wall, stuck with mounting putty.

Does anyone else have another cheap alternative to displaying their prints without exensive frames?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:33 AM   #2

Have you thought about checking out your local library for books on framing?
You are probably more after the "crafty/thrifty" approach rather than pro framing work-which by the way, start up costs can be expensive.

I have seen some "crafty" type books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...383092-5262525

They may be a little "foo-foo'rie" for you but may give you some ideas.

I know this isn't what you are after but am thinking that if you can't find answers to your questions, perhaps a few glances through a few books will help generate a few of your own ideas, while also offering some good pointers (glues, material etc.)

I too am considering getting into matting, mounting & framing later on. Nice hobby to go along with photography & digital art

Anyway, hope you find some good & inexpensive ideas here on the forum. If not, perhaps a few books will come to the rescue.

Good luck,
~Kate
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:25 AM   #3

Default Re: Printing, framing, matting, mounting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
Does anyone else have another cheap alternative to displaying their prints without exensive frames?
In the UK easily the quickest, simplest. cheapest method is to buy 'clip frames'. These are sandwiches of a piece of hardboard and a glass (or plastic) cover, held together with four metal clips, one in the centre of each side. The glass versions are preferable, because of their UV absorption. I find the results to look very professional, and the lack of a heavy frame round the edge minimises distraction from the print, unlike an elaborate wood or plastic frame. It's the easy equivalent of old-fashioned board mounting of prints.

They come in many sizes from tiny to huge, and a target price in cheap outlets in the UK for an A4 size is about 1.50 ukpounds. Market stalls are good, cheap sources.

If your print is too small or the wrong shape for the mount, use a piece of suitably coloured paper or card as a backing.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:04 AM   #4

I've bought black metal frame kits. You can buy the frame, the glass and the matting separately. I don't recall cost, but I am pretty sure it wasn't as much as $70.

You can usually get them at art supply stores. The mattes come with different sized holes.
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:44 AM   #5

Default Laminating and Framing

I laminate many of my photos, some 8x10's for as little as 25 cents a copy. This then gives a lot of options for framing and/or display. I cut all my own matts and either make my own frames or purchase framing kits from an art store.

I would recommend any photographer to look into obtaining a matt cutting fixture. After a little practice they are simple to use. At the rate most of us take photographs if you had to pay for frames we would soon have more $$$ in that than the cameras.

I have not been to a framing store in fifty years.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:03 AM   #6

I'd suggest buying a mat cutter and learn how to use it. It takes a little practice to master, but makes pictures look great. Standard size frames are fairly inexpensive. I buy mat remnants that save a lot of money.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:53 PM   #7

I can't help on the direct subject, but I've heard a friend of mine who frames and sells his work talk a bit about it.

One thing that stuck in my head was a benefit he mentioned. The frame maker that he liked the most got his business partially because they always ship with clean glass. Not dust, mudges and other things that would have to be cleaned (with the risk of causing more problems.) This saves him lots of time.

So if you do look into framing, its something to consider (if you do it a lot.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:13 PM   #8

Quote:
I'd suggest buying a mat cutter and learn how to use it. It takes a little practice to master, but makes pictures look great. Standard size frames are fairly inexpensive. I buy mat remnants that save a lot of money.
Joshua--I do it exactly as "Wildman" does it. I have three sources for frames: a local arts and crafts store, Wal-Mart (which is a last resort because I hate the store), and garage sales in the summer where I've been known to pick up elegantly simple frames for a quarter. I've invested in a Logan mat cutter (bevel) and another Logan for straight cuts. The tedious part of cutting the mats is with the math required to get the margins correct, but once you have that, the mat cutter makes quick work of it. Though it's more expensive, getting the system that includes a ruler that has a rail on it that the cutter rides on is the way to go because it eliminates a cut running wild. I used to have a source for scrap mat board but the store had the nerve to close, so I now buy the full-sized mats. Once you see how many mats you can get from a single board, you'll realize it isn't very expensive at all.

Often, a new frame (watching for sales) can cost as little as $7 for an 11 x 14. Add to this about a dollar for the mat and pennies for the little hooks to hang pictures on the wall. Not counting labor, of course, you've just spent a whole lot less than it would have cost to get it done professionally. After a while, your own matting and framing will look professional.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9

When I was thinking of getting the Canon S9000 for 13x19 prints I looked into what the cost of framing would cost for my customers. Went to one place first and they said about $200 all custom (Frame Matt etc.) went to another store and and the lady( who was very helpfull) suggested buying a standard larger frame and having the mat cut to fit. The Store is called Hobby Lobby and It worked out great, the average cost is about $40. Had two of My Cutting Pictures done this way Took them to a Show I was Shooting And Sold them for $225 each. So I made a deal With Hobby Lobby to recomend them to my customers and I get my framing at a discount. This has worked out very well for myself and my customers.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:03 PM   #10

Hey Cowboy...

I regularly cut mats for my 13 X 19 inch prints and put them in 16 X 20 frames from (shudder) Wal-mart ;-). The pictures look great and inexpensive enough to give away to even casual friends.

My mat cutter has a rail that lets even a clutz like me to cut accurate mats. It's not hard to do... just mark on the back side of the matting. I'm so cheap that I buy remnants and use the "cut out" part for smaller mats.

Once you've done a few mats, you'll be an expert like me!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote