Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:01 AM   #1

Default Filter mounted teleconverters?

Are these teleconverters that screw into filter tings rings any good?
I want to put it on my 300mm telephoto without loosing light, but how much image quality do I loose?

NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:55 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are these teleconverters that screw into filter tings rings any good?
No.

Quote:
I want to put it on my 300mm telephoto without loosing light, but how much image quality do I loose?
You lose all of it. Seriously these things are a complete waste of money and will turn the images from your SLR into far worse quality than you would get with a P&S.

If you want a proper teleconverter you should get the ones that go between your camera and lens. They typically have a multiplication factor of 1.4x or 2x.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:27 AM   #3

Oh, haha. Can't expect much from $15 lol

Last edited by NothingRare; Jan 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
I want to put it on my 300mm telephoto without loosing light, ...
(emphasis mine - TCav)

Can't be done.

A 2X teleconverter doubles the focal length and halves the angle of view. That means the lens is passing only 1/4 the light it would without the "Teleconverter" (1/2 the horizontal angle of view and 1/2 the vertical angle of view equals 1/4 the scene, and therefore 1/4 the light.) That's a loss of 2 f-stops of light.

Since the camera dosn't know about the filter-thread-mounted-teleconverter, it doesn't adjust the actual f-stop, but you'll still lose the light, just like you would with a camera mounted teleconverter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:45 AM   #5

Default Some are ok...

Some screw-on teleconverters are good. They are not inexpensive.

The best I have is a Nikon TC-E15ED (1.5X) Also the Nikon TC-E17ED (1.7X is highly prized and also highly priced!) The TC-E15ED is much less expensive but requires surgery.

See C.K.Shene's excellent comparisons at:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
(look under FZ30).

These TC's do not necessarily decrease the effective f-stop. Instead, the new f-stop will be the (original focal length)x(magnification)/(TC's-front-lens-diameter). There's a minor amount of light loss because of the extra glass elements, maybe 1/3 stop.

In most circumstances, putting such a TC on a 3.5 lens won't change the f-stop much.

Here's a test comparing sharpness of a good pentax prime lens without and with two teleconverters, the Nikon TC-E15ED and an Olympus B-300 (same as Olympus TC-17.)

Dave
newarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:59 AM   #6
Administrator

Also note that if your lens design allows it to rotate when focusing, the extra weight from a filter mounted TC can put more strain on the focus motor and lens mechanism and potentially damage it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:08 AM   #7

F-number is a function of focal length. When you change the focal length, you change the f-number. With a filter mounted teleconverter, the camera doesn't know you've changed the focal length, and therefore the aperture, so the EXIF will contain just the data the lens (minus the teleconverter) told it.

A 1.5X teleconverter (ANY 1.5X teleconverter) will reduce the aperture by about 1.2 f-stops, a 1.7X teleconverter (ANY 1.7X teleconverter) will reduce the aperture by about 1.5 f-stops, and a 2X teleconverter (ANY 2X teleconverter) will reduce the aperture by 2 f-stops.

Nothing can change that.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:19 AM   #8
Administrator

I'm not sure the same rules apply to a front mounted TC. IOW, technically, it may not be increasing the focal length, just changing what the lens receives by magnifying it. You'd have to try it to see. For example, if you need to use a slower shutter speed for the same lighting, aperture and ISO speed in order to get the same exposure. The TC manufacturers usually advertise that their front mounted TCs do not cause loss of light.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:13 AM   #9

If you use a smaller angle of view, then you are reducing the amount of light.

If you frame an image of something, and then change the angle of view so that the frame contains only half of it, then you're only getting half as much light.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:52 AM   #10

If you increase the objective lens diameter, you are encreasing the amount of light entering the camera, effectively reducing the f/number. If this factor is the same as that of the t/c magnification, the effective f/stop does not change.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote