Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Photo mag. suggestion

Ok which photo mag. (USA) would you suggest for someone who is still using a "bridge" camera, just wants to widen their knowledge a little, has some equipment reviews (preferably cameras and lens mostly), and maybe a little photoshop tips or such.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2

Popular Photography is a very good magazine to start reading. I started reading Popular Photography in 1971 and still have it sent to the house for the wife. I still read it but tell the wife I'm only reading it so I can explain the articles to her if she has questions.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:28 PM   #3

I'm not particularly crazy about any of the photo magazines (including Popular Photography). I don't subscribe to any of them as there's too many times I find that they don't interest me. So I go to the book store and look through them all, picking up ones that have articles that interest me that month. Equipment reviews are often all over the place - one mag will love one camera and hate another, while a different one says the opposite. Cameras, especially, have subjective reviews - it's the nature of things (I might hate a camera that you love, the reason why there's all different types of cameras out there).

If you are looking for photoshop tips, I like NAPP's Photoshop User magazine. At first it seemed way over my head, but after actually working through their examples and tutorials on their website (if you join you get access to their excellent website) it makes much more sense. Every month I pick up something new, so I keep renewing my membership (while its not cheap, it's been well worth it for me).

If you are looking to expand your general photography knowledge, I'd recommend getting one of the books, like Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure or Understanding Photography Field Guide. I find that often magazine articles on technique are more fluff than fact.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Popular Photography is a very good magazine to start reading. I started reading Popular Photography in 1971 and still have it sent to the house for the wife. I still read it but tell the wife I'm only reading it so I can explain the articles to her if she has questions.

I'll second Pop Photo. Their tips and articles are decent. It's a good way to find out about new equipment and such. It's cheap, too.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:34 PM   #5

Cheap, Pop Photo may be the cheapest piece of photo gear on the market. They just sent me my renewal notice, $24.00 for 24 months, that's only a $1.00 a month. That's a hard deal to beat in my book. Well there is the problem that the wife keeps finding new gear in the magazine she thinks we can't live without but other than that it is a good photo magazine.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:00 PM   #6

I haven't been a subscriber for quite a while, but recall that over the period of about 2 or 3 years, there was enough information in the magazine to just about cover everything you would get in a photography course at a local college. Talk about a cheap education - . Of course you won't get the sheepskin, but if it is the knowledge you really want, instead of the diploma, that is the way to go.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:25 PM   #7

Well I was asking because I just got a special offer in the mail for popular Pgotography for $7 for a year. Just didn't know how well it would benefit what I want to know. So I since I was thinking about getting some subscription, thought i would ask. mtngal i hear ya, but I am usually not going out of my way to find specific mags. Tried that in the past and find I go look about once or twice a year instead of as often as I would like.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote