Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:32 PM   #1

Default Shutter lag info

Does anybody know where I can find listings of shutter lag for different digital cameras?

Does anybody know which of the current "prosumer" digital cameras is the fastest (in terms of shutter lag)?

Thanks in advance, your help will be appreciated,

AM
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) measures shutter lag in his reviews. You'll find these tests in the "Timing and File Sizes" sections of older reviews, or in the "Timing and Performance" section of newer reviews:

Here's an example of the tests for the Sony DSC-V1 (very fast):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page11.asp

Dave Etchells (owner/editor of imaging-resource.com) also performs these tests. You'll find them in the "Picky Details" link in his reviews (sometimes listed as "Shutter Lag and Cycle Time Tests" in the drop down menu choices on a review's first page). Here's an example of his tests for the Sony DSC-V1:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V1/V1A7.HTM

The new Sony 828 also appears to be a very fast camera (but we'll have to wait on tests from a production model to see how it will perform). Here are some of Dave Etchells comments about performance from a pre-production model:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F828/F82A7.HTM
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:27 PM   #3

Wonderful!!!!

Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, your reply was really fast.

Regards,

AM
Old Nov 24, 2003, 5:25 PM   #4

On most digital cameras, you can reduce the effect of shutter lag by pressing the shutter button part way down, allowing the auto-focus to lock in and the exposure setting to lock in, then pushing the rest of the way. Most of the lag time is used by the auto-focus and exposure system. On my Minolta S414, I push the button part way. It then "beeps" when everything is locked and then push the rest of the way. Once the beep has sounded, the actual shutter time is less than half a second.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:31 PM   #5

Actually that is what I use to be able to take pictures faster.

Now I'll need to take pictures remotely, so I need to find the way to try to compare (and find) the fastest camera (without going into the professional level DSRLs).

Of course, having a very fast camera (in terms of shutter lag) does not mean that when taking pictures remotely I'll count on the same shutter lag as taking pictures manually, that will be the next step, but for now I need to find out what would be the minimum shutter lag I could find on "prosumer" cameras.

AM
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:03 PM   #6
Administrator

Clarify what you mean by taking photos remotely...

You'll have a very short list of digital cameras with the ability to be used with any kind of remote control software, and even then, the distance to the camera will be limited (because of limitations in USB cable lengths, etc.).

More can use wired or wireless remotes. Again, your distance will be very limited.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:45 PM   #7

"Taking photos remotely" this is a challenge I have.

The idea is to connect a wired remote control to a camera and, by means of this remote control, use a common trigger signal.

This trigger signal would be generated locally (by locally I mean on the location where the camera would be) or at least would be available where the camera would be placed.

Perhaps the big challenge I have is to see how fast the picture could be taken after sending the trigger signal.

AM
Old Nov 26, 2003, 1:11 PM   #8
Administrator

I'd probably take a close look at the Sony DSC-V1 then. It's autofocus lag is very fast compared to it's competition, and it has the ability to use a wired remote control (RM-VD1 Multi-Function Wired Remote Control).

Bear in mind that the cable is only 5 feet long though.

What is your plan for a camera? There are some other models with the ability to be controlled remotely (both via wireless, or wired remote control). However, from a focus lag perspective, I think you'll find the V1 to be the fastest non-dSLR with remote shutter release ability, based on the autofocus lag tests I've seen.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:39 PM   #9

I was involved on a Rocket Trigger Lightning facility for a couple of seasons. I want to see how far I can go on the idea of replacing old SRL film cameras with digital cameras (non-professional because then the cost will be prohibitive) to be used to take pictures of lightning and its effects on different structures.

My idea is to find a "good" camera and do some tests and see how feasible this project is.

What Iím more concern is that there is not much time from the trigger signal to the moment the picture needs to be taken. This is why shutter lag is very important.

AM