Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:56 PM   #1

Default Greetings to the forum

Hello All

I am trying to venture back into photography. I have always like shooting sports. I am hoping that the second time around that things will be much smoother. To give a little background about myself, I started showing an interest in photography back in high school. I found out how to reload the disposable film cameras and proceeded to reload them and shoot pics. My first SLR camera was a Minolta Maxuum 7000 with 1 sensor AF. Because I wanted to learn how to shoot sports, I had to use manual focus and zoom while focusing on my moving subjects. I admit I have had some brief, yes brief flashes of somewhat usable talent. One of my biggest issues is that I have potential but I am severely lacking in many areas concerning photography. Most of 'technique' (if you want to call it that) is learned from experience and lots of trial and error. Hopefully by join this forum I can learn from those far advanced than me. My question would be for you all is 'is there potential for me in photography?'

The thing that I see with my pictures is that non of them stand out all that much. They are like your normal run of the mill photos that anyone now with a DSLR could capture. Granted I am currently in school again for a degree in Graphic Design, but something seems to be missing here. Feel free to voice your thoughts and options. Thanks for reading.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:23 PM   #2

The one thing I see missing in all of the posted photo's is lack of eye contact with the subject. Especially in sports, facial expressions are key to showing the emotion present in all sports, and the eyes are the key to these expressions. I think this is really clear even in pic one, which technically isn't bad. But the sunglasses cover up the eyes and thus the pic lacks emotion. Also, try to get as close as possible to the subjects so they fill the frame completely.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:37 PM   #3

"My question would be for you all is 'is there potential for me in photography?"

Nobody but you can sincerely answer that question.
Do the best you can. Learn as much as you can. Get the best equipment you can buy and go on. It's your way, your world.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:54 PM   #4

I think if you keep shooting, then post here for CC you will get some good feedback on what to improve one and you can hone you skills. I would keep an open mind, and have a thick skin during the after action reviews. And you will developed the skill you will need like a good gunner on the M1A2 SEP, they learn to be good at their jobs. I do not think you should doubt yourself about getting better in photography.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
keep an open mine, and have a thick skin
if you are going to be working around open mines, i am sure the thick skin will come in handy.

on a serious note, shooting shooting shooting and asking for real constructive criticism is the best way to learn.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:59 PM   #6

Hards,

You quota me as I was correcting it, oops
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:19 PM   #7

I'll take your advice and shoot more, get critiques from those here and take the feedback to improve. The bottom 3 pictures are from a few years ago when I got my first taste of using a digital camera. Looking back, they really do look bad. Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate your time!