Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Impact of the New Mac iPad on Photography

I stumbled across this very interesting piece on the Luminous Landscape Web site. It goes into what Apple's new iPad may mean for photographers - both amateur and professional - and to the camera industry. It's not very long and it doesn't get too technical. It might stir your excitement and enthusiasm, or it might depress you. Either way, I feel it is worthy of your attention. Enjoy:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/tablet.shtml
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:54 PM   #2

More than just the iPad
See more here
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post
More than just the iPad
See more here
My take on the ipad, and the related compitition, is that if I'm prepared to give up buying something useful for my camera, work really really hard, I can find someway of saying, "Hey, look what I can do!"

Err, which is not quite the same thing as being useful for photography.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4

I'm not taking sides on which tablet is better. At least not yet. But whether it's the iPad, the H-P Slate, improved smart phones or any other hardware platform (perhaps all combined) that the media consumer selects, it's apparent where the future of digital print is headed. I think the greatest impact will be on professionals rather than hobbyists. But make no mistake, the question many have asked, i.e. "Why do I want or need video capture on my DSLR?" is about to be answered. In spades.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:07 PM   #5

How about, instead, a camera you can use with a wireless keyboard, with about 3TB storage, photoediting software, and WiFi?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
How about, instead, a camera you can use with a wireless keyboard, with about 3TB storage, photoediting software, and WiFi?

brian
I'm going to be doing a show at a gallery. Now, I got into this gallery by bringing the owner a CD to peruse. Should I go over there with an iPad and show him the images on it's little screen? The man wants to sit down and look at these images. He doesn't want to hold my hand while I give him a dippy slide show. Should I Give him the iPad? Just what is the qualitative improvement of this thing over other methods of portability? And if I drag it all over the place, just how long is it going to last? I can stick a CD (ord DVD) in my pocket... As for taking it with me in the field? Not a chance. Dave
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:26 PM   #7

As happened with the iPhone, Apple used a name already in use. This time, however, it's by industrial giant Fujitsu. It's Party Time for Lawyers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
As happened with the iPhone, Apple used a name already in use. This time, however, it's by industrial giant Fujitsu. It's Party Time for Lawyers.
I thought they were being sued by manufacturers of feminine hygiene products? You mean electronics companies are after them as well?

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:49 AM   #9

I read today where the CEO of best buy said the I Pad has cannibalized 50% of his laptop sales. My feeling is that this I Pad is a nice toy that people will find many uses for. There is a lot of competition in this field, but Apple has rhe advantage of name recognition, even more so than HP. As long as my laptop does everything I need it to, I will get the IPad for a toy, and that is only a maybe at this point. I'm sure that future models will be more feature rich and will have more storage capacity, and will probably use apps like the i phone and the androids. It surely is an exciting time to be alive...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:55 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Tablets are great for consuming media, they excel at this. And I am starting to see they can be made useful in the academic world as well, I see many of my colleagues going to these for reading/editing manuscripts on the go, where the touchscreen is great for quick scribbles. However, at the moment for me, while they offer a luxury for this purpose, they don't offer enough true productivity to justify the cost.