Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:02 AM   #1

Default A few questions about my camera and a lens I am considering

Hi all. I just have a question about some things I have heard regarding the Canon Digital SLRs. I have the Digital Rebel and want to make sure something will work before I buy it.

Someone has told me or I read it somewhere that the Canon Digital SLRs will not focus properly if used with a lens which has a minimum aperture greater than 5.6.(?) I was considering the Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Compact Aspherical IF Hyperzoom lens. Does this mean at when I hit the focal length where the minimum aperture is 6.3 my Digital Rebel will not autofocus?

Also, does anyone have this lens and if so, how do you like it. Is there a review of this lens on this site anywhere? I couldn't find any reviews on SLR lenses here.

Thanks everyone!
Bill Miller :lol:
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:06 AM   #2
Administrator

I have not read that (but there could be some merit to it - I have not researched this issue).

Although, keep in mind what you are going to be using the camera for. For low light sports, you may need a much faster lens (wider apertures/lower F-Stop numbers) to freeze the action at longer focal lengths.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:21 AM   #3

Jim,

Excellent Point. I don't really think I am so much interested in this lens any more but I would like to find out the details around the camera limitations if the minimum apurture is greater than 5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I have not read that (but there could be some merit to it - I have not researched this issue).

Although, keep in mind what you are going to be using the camera for. For low light sports, you may need a much faster lens (wider apertures/lower F-Stop numbers) to freeze the action at longer focal lengths.
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote