Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post

#1 people are often collectors, and are always obsessing over the technical merits of lenses. For them getting a sharper lens WILL improve their photography because if it's sharp it's good.
Made with my new $5k lens.

And a crop

And a different expensive lens...

Quote:

#1 people can usually be identified by how many photographs of cats and dogs they post on the forums.

Quote:
It is much easier to be very good at #1 than at #2.
Looks like its number one for me.

Somewhere along the lines I stopped worrying about it all, to tell the truth. I don't care what person "A" thinks, nor do I care what person "B" thinks I should do differently. I'll listen to advise, but its me that gets to press the shutter next time, what lens I have mounted and whats in the shopping cart when I press the "check out" button.

The pointy head ken rockwell types can be entertaining at times, but they don't rule my world either. I just do the photography thing as a release from my day to day stuff. If the photography thing seems like a hassel on a certain day, I leave the camera sit.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Feb 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Made with my new $5k lens.

Looks like its number one for me.

Greg
So your point is that you're a lousy photographer, but you know your equipment?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
So your point is that you're a lousy photographer, but you know your equipment?

Dave
I think I was more rebelling about being placed in one or the other box. There are many shade of gray with this matter.

Everyone knows the equipment "know it all" that is long on opinion, but you never see a single pic he/she has composed. I give very little weight to such advise. I'm sure this it the type one as described.

On the other hand, I've seen photo upon photo in a gallery that almost takes your breath away. You may even find out later that they were taken with a cheap P&S camera. They may have a blown highlight or two. Some may not be the sharpest. Despite the shortcommings, they each tell a story or you have trouble moving on to the next photo. That would be a pure number 2 shooter.

Few of us fall that clearly into one or the other. For me, there are others that have far more technical knowledge as well as there are those that have far more artistic ability.

There are also some that far exceed me in both of those areas at the same time.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:30 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
There is a gender difference in my experience. There are many female artists/photographers who have huge amounts of talent and know less than the average male on a photography forum about #1. .
That's my wife. She's got a much better eye than I do. But, she couldn't tell you anything about a camera, even though she's got many thousands of photos taken with a Nikon SLR (shelves of boxes full of photos she's shot over the years, with each box designed to hold something like 1700 prints). They were all taken on Auto.

Interestingly, the first time I let her borrow a digital camera (a Nikon Coolpix 950 I still have), she didn't know it had a zoom lens (she was accustomed to a zoom lens you twisted to change focal lengths).

So, she complained about not being able to back up far enough to take good photos with it when taking group shots at a family gathering (since it defaults to a longer focal length when first powered on). I showed her how to turn it on and how to press the shutter button, without thinking about showing her the zoom controls on it. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:35 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't possible to happily pursue both #1 and #2. Some people are masters in both and others frankly rubbish at both.

I certainly do not disparage those in #1, after all I think I sit there much of the time myself,and I have to work much harder at improving at #2 which comes far less easily to me.

Jim my wife is also an amazingly talented natural photographer. She did work briefly as a journalist when she was younger and carried a camera. She was encouraged by the staff photographers at the paper (some of whom went on to be multi-award winning PJs) to continue as a PJ herself.

But she had other ideas and desires. She is now a movie editor with a controversial new movie that she worked on coming out soon.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...nside-me-.html