Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:39 PM   #1

Default shots coming out yellowish

some shots that i take with no flash come out a bit yellowish, in those cases should i take them with the flash? or should i start messing with the white balances.
sotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:53 PM   #2

Yellowish indoor shots without flash are a result of the primary light source being incandescent bulbs. If you've got the white balance set to auto, your camera doesn't handle incandescent light well. You can set a custom white balance or you can use the flash, which the camera will handle correctly.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:54 PM   #3

Yes, your white balance is causing it, Auto is not the best. Especially indoors.

The best is if your camera will let you do a custom white balance where you take a photo of a white card or printer paper in the lighting you are in. Then there should be a feature that lets you select custom white balance and you tell the camera that the photo you took is white.

If your camera does not have this feature, pick the lighting closest to the type of light you are in. There may be icons that show you the light sources.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:58 PM   #4

It depends on whether you are able to use flash in the situation, and whether you want to. Available light often provides nicer looking results for portraits and candids. For this, try setting your WB to the incandescent setting (sometimes called Tungsten). A lot of people seem to like the yellow/orange cast they get from not having the WB spot on. Take a look at a lot of glamour type photography to see what I'm talking about.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:08 AM   #5

Ok Also I was wondering if it was possible on my camera while taking still pictures, to actually have the display show on the lcd while taking a photo. I cant seem to find that option, i alo have this + - by the eye lends that i cant figure out what it does, I also cant figure out how to make photos black and white, and the HDR format. I probably should pull out the manual.
sotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
Ok Also I was wondering if it was possible on my camera while taking still pictures, to actually have the display show on the lcd while taking a photo.
That's called 'Live View'. Some cameras do it and some don't. You didn't mention which camera you're using, so I can't help you there.

Quote:
I cant seem to find that option, i alo have this + - by the eye lends that i cant figure out what it does, ...
That's the diopter adjustment, so you can tune the optical viewfinder for your particular eyesight.

Quote:
I also cant figure out how to make photos black and white, ...
That's a function of the camera taking the photo. It's in the menu somewhere, but you're better off doing it in post processing anyway. If you have the camera record a B&W image and it turns out you don't like it, you've got nothing. If you just record a color image, you can play with the many different ways to convert a color image to B&W, and if you don't like the result, you can Undo.

Quote:
and the HDR format. ...
HDR is a technique that involves constructing a single image out of two or more images, each of which was taken of the same subject with different exposure settings. You can do it yourself, you can use your camera's bracketing feature, or (in rare instances) you can have the camera do it for you.

Quote:
I probably should pull out the manual.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote