Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:28 AM   #1

Default Resizing many pics at once

:shock:
I take the game action shots for our high school football games. At the end of the season I burn them on cd's for the coaches, team, trainers, etc (about 90 people). This year, we went to the state semis so I have the regular season plus 4 playoffs with approx. 200 pics per game.

[color=red]Is there a way to resize several pictures at once using Photoshop Elements? Since I used the Digital Rebel 2/3 of the season, my pics are much larger than in the past. I'd like to resize all my pics to 8x10 so that through resizing and deleting some pics I can get down to 2 cd's per person.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Rhonda
rvird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:56 AM   #2

Default Batch resize

Irfanview from www.irfanview.com is a free, small download, and does this sort of thing rapidly and excellently with its 'batch processing' facility.

However, if you have a standard format 4:3 digicam, you won't want to resize to 10x8, because you'll have to chop off some of the image. 6x4, 8x6 or 12x9 would be appropriate paper sizes, if you were prrinting them.

If you're putting the images on CD for people to view on their computers, though, why worry about the printed size? Just resize if really necessary to give them as many pixels as you can, and save with a level of jpeg compression that lets you get them all on the 2 disks. Irfanview will let you set a pixel size, and a jpeg compression level, and also apply some sharpening if you want it, all in one go. Be careful to keep your original camera image files safely backed up.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 9:24 AM   #3

There are 2 issues here, one is re-sizing to make the files smaller to get them all on a CD. and the second is cropping images to suit a particular size of print paper, with different horizontal and vertical sizes to your image/screen ratio.

As AlanT says, for looking on a pc you just need to re-size to say 800X600 pixels and forget about print sizes. This is OK if people don't want to do prints off your CD themselves. This resizing is easy in a batch mode. However, you might see an opportunity to arrange for images to be printed, and it's best if you keep the full resolution images to offer this service. You could also look at photo websites that give you storage, in return others can view and order their own prints direct - nice as it cuts you out of the hassle of lots of CD's.

The second scenario is you want the files to give print quality in the standard print sizes - say 6X4 or 10X8, allowing people to use your work to get their own prints done at Walmart or on their own printer. If you want some control, you might want to pre-crop by chopping some off the top/bottom or both and or tweak levels.

Although you can do this in batch mode (just like Walmart) - you soon realise that some pics need to be cropped top down, some bottom up, some a bit off top and bottom, and some pics will not easily crop at all. Shooting with crop in mind is always a good idea so you don't have to chop off the footballers feet! Because the crop solution is never the same, you end up looking individually at each shot. I do his on batches of 50 and it can take 11/2 hours, but I prefer to present my pics as good as I can reasonably get them. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:11 PM   #4

Default Resizing pics

Alan and Vox,

Thanks so much for all the information! I downloaded Irfanview and am playing around with it. I'll probably downsize them proportionately using a % of the original size and keep them bigger than 8x10 in case they want to print.

I'm a volunteer Mom that has done this for 5 years now. Even though I'm not a professional, I do like to give the guys good shots (at least they are much nicer than those that their parents can get from the stands). All the pictures have already been tweaked in PS and some were downsized (one at a time) each game night before downloading some of them onto our website.

I always burn the team and coaches cd's. More than anything, they like to email them to family and colleges, use as pc wallpaper and show off to their friends.

Thanks agian!!!!

Rhonda
Old Nov 28, 2003, 6:32 AM   #5

Umm Rhonda,
If you are using Nikon View 6, which I am told by my other camera friends users work on other brands of cameras, what you can do is open the folder using Nikon View 6, Select Tools and then copy and resize. With this application, you can reduce the size as well as resolution. Hope this helps.
LYn
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Lyn! I don't have Nikon View 6 (all my software is Canon or Adobe). The Irfanview that Alan recommended did the job. Thanks for your help though.

Rhonda