Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:57 AM   #11

For the P&S cameras, I think your only choice is to send the cameras back for service. For the D40x, I would probably wet clean the sensor just to eliminate the dust theory. Spend some time in any forums, and you will hear plenty of stories of cameras that were bought new that actually had dust on the sensor. Just the act of taking the body cap off and putting the lens on for the first time could possibly introduce dust onto the sensor, which likely won't be visible to the naked eye. The fact that you've tried multiple lenses, and the issue is still present, further leads me to believe that it is truly dust, although you haven't stated whether the dots are present in the same locations on each image or if they are present at all apertures. If they move from shot to shot, or are present at every aperture, then the problem may not be dust.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
For the P&S cameras, I think your only choice is to send the cameras back for service. For the D40x, I would probably wet clean the sensor just to eliminate the dust theory. Spend some time in any forums, and you will hear plenty of stories of cameras that were bought new that actually had dust on the sensor. Just the act of taking the body cap off and putting the lens on for the first time could possibly introduce dust onto the sensor, which likely won't be visible to the naked eye. The fact that you've tried multiple lenses, and the issue is still present, further leads me to believe that it is truly dust, although you haven't stated whether the dots are present in the same locations on each image or if they are present at all apertures. If they move from shot to shot, or are present at every aperture, then the problem may not be dust.
I've had dSLR's since 2001 and have never actually been able to see a piece of dust... Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I've had dSLR's since 2001 and have never actually been able to see a piece of dust... Dave
I have seen some pieces of lint/hair on the sensor, but dust is pretty much invisible to the naked eye
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I've had dSLR's since 2001 and have never actually been able to see a piece of dust...
Congratulations!

And you live in NYC! And you own a dog! Extraordinary!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:01 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Post a pictures of the "not-dust" from the cameras.

I am pretty sure we will all agree that it is in fact dust, or at least some crud of some description on the sensor. Many brand-new cameras come with dust, it's all part of the service.

Dust has a specific look to it we will be able to tell. :-)
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Congratulations!

And you live in NYC! And you own a dog! Extraordinary!
Err, did I say that my sensor wasn't actually covered with dust? Looking at this dust covered sensor with a magnifying glass and I Still couldn't see any dust.

However, as I said in an earlier post, I was ONCE able to see a dog hair, but then it covered almost the width of the sensor. I've been told that with a ten power lens I should be able to actually see the dust.

(Reading comprehension is such a difficult thing - I feel your pain)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Quote:
(Reading comprehension is such a difficult thing - I feel your pain)
What's to comprehend? You haven't seen dust.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote