Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Photographer / Model - work related, what is the norm?

Hello,

I recently had a photoshoot of a model, private non-compensated. I would get more experience and pictures I needed for my portfolio and she would have modeling pictures of herself in a nice location I provided.

My question is, in a situation like this, would the photographer give all the pictures to the model, the original files without adding his name to the picture (like "Photo by:" type of thing)? What is the norm regarding that? Giving the picture's original file to the model?

Other than that, in these situations I just want to make sure that signing a release form in a standard thing?

Thank you
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:53 PM   #2

For a number of reasons, a signed release form is a very good idea. If you are even considering commercial work, it should be necessary.
As to what is the norm, I would retain the originals, as well as copyright, unless something else was agreed on previously. She should get a full set of prints, and, if you don't feel up to doing the necessary editing, a copy of the files to have edited.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:05 PM   #3

Thanks brian,

What do you mean by to do the necessary editing?
What about the size? Let's say I took it at 10MP, should I send her the files in their original sizes? And you think I should copyright the files I send to her?

I mean, what if she wants to print pictures? My name will appear in the corner...

Thanks again
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:41 PM   #4

For a model's portfolio, there are standard poses, and certain things agencies look for. If you are providing prints, you should have done the editing, such as blemish removal, removing any distracting elements, etc. If you arent' making the prints, you should provide full size files instead. Since you aren't making the prints, it will be hard to keep control on your copyrights. A discreet watermark would be a good idea, but those can be very easily edited out.
Taking pictures is only the first part of commercial photography, as you are finding out.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote