Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:59 PM   #1

Default What background color for a photography book?

I am making a nature photography book for myself through Blurb (www.blurb.com.) I am contemplating which color to use as my background. What do all of you think personally is a better color. Black or white?

I am going to upload 4 different pages in both black and white. I'm leaning more towards black, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe a combination of both black and white?

Also if you have any tips/comments on the pictures themselves, please don't hesitate to speak up.

adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:18 PM   #2

There are many colors in this world...

Why limit yourself to black and white? Personally I select "light colors," any shade of light color will work, and you should choose one that pleases you!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
There are many colors in this world...

Why limit yourself to black and white? Personally I select "light colors," any shade of light color will work, and you should choose one that pleases you!

Dave
I think I should stay in the grayscale range. Thats just my personal opinion anyways. I feel that any other colors are just distracting.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I prefer most pictures presented against black, this extends to books as well. just my pref.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:35 PM   #5

I too would vote for black.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:05 PM   #6

Ditto on the black. For me, darker areas disappearing into a black border aren't as bad as lighter areas on white (such as the very last example).
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:55 PM   #7

Thank you for the input. I have decided to make most of it black, with the exception of 6 or so pages.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:43 PM   #8

From the examples you have posted here I would definately go for the white. There are a lot of dark images which blend into the black background altering the actual photo size. All the examples here are much better defined by the white background. If your shots were snow, glaciers etc then black background. But for the majority white. Just my opinion. And doing that crap for 40 years what do I know.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:12 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I have printed one Blurb book with a black background, but my next one will probably be a white background.

There is a reason why most monographs are printed with white backgrounds. If you are doing a lot of edge-to-edge layouts then I think black is not a bad choice, but my next one will have one shot per page with a white matt/border around each image.

So my answer is I think it depends on your layout. Also note that on-screen viewing makes the black background look comparatively better than the white which doesn't hold when viewing paper.

If you are 50-50 then choose white. Or do one of each so you'll know for next time. :-)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:33 AM   #10

Thanks. I'm thinking the 2 posts above me are right. I think I should go with white. I uploaded the book to Blurb, and looked at the preview, and the black pages did not look as good as the white ones.