Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:20 PM   #11

When a picture is so bad and the poster is asking for some praise or criticism I will ask what he sees, what he likes, and especially if he would hang it on his wall. They usually drop the ball there and hem and haw their way out by saying they know its not the best. And thats usually the end of it. I try to justify what my feelings are for a pic whichever way those feelings go. What really ticks me off is when I see a hundred people have looked at a pic and not one person says a word. I cant believe any picture is that invisible. Im probably one of the most outspoken critiques here. I dont know any of you from Adam. I certainly dont mean to piss anyone off. But post a great pic and my eyes will water, the hairs will rise on my arms and I will get goosepimples. When that happens, I will say something. On the other hand if someone posts a pic that shouldnt see the light of day I will also say something. We should do a poll and see how many people who posted a half decent (not good, great, fantastic or awe inspiring) photo has been verbally abused because of it. And Mtngal you have two working eyes and a functioning brain so you can comment on any pic as well as anyone else. Perhaps not technically like which fstop or ISO to use for any shot, but enough to say why you like it or dont like it. Nothing better than a good honest opinion.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
When a picture is so bad and the poster is asking for some praise or criticism I will ask what he sees, what he likes, and especially if he would hang it on his wall. They usually drop the ball there and hem and haw their way out by saying they know its not the best. And thats usually the end of it. I try to justify what my feelings are for a pic whichever way those feelings go. What really ticks me off is when I see a hundred people have looked at a pic and not one person says a word. I cant believe any picture is that invisible. Im probably one of the most outspoken critiques here. I dont know any of you from Adam. I certainly dont mean to piss anyone off. But post a great pic and my eyes will water, the hairs will rise on my arms and I will get goosepimples. When that happens, I will say something. On the other hand if someone posts a pic that shouldnt see the light of day I will also say something. We should do a poll and see how many people who posted a half decent (not good, great, fantastic or awe inspiring) photo has been verbally abused because of it. And Mtngal you have two working eyes and a functioning brain so you can comment on any pic as well as anyone else. Perhaps not technically like which fstop or ISO to use for any shot, but enough to say why you like it or dont like it. Nothing better than a good honest opinion.
My posts nor I, for one, have not been abused or treated maliciously in these forums. That attests to me remaining a member and still posting here. But, as I stated earlier, this is not the case in quite a few forums that I USED TO be a member of. While a few of my posts never get commented on, I can deal with that. Kind of. Sort of.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

However, some of us feel totally inadequate when it comes to commenting about pictures,

you are too humble...

I think that everyone has the ability to offer something. It is a perspective through the viewers eyes, and that is never wrong. 'It how I see it'...first I am by no means a good critiquer or photographer, so when i look at a photo, it either grabs me because of it impact.

Or more importantly, its a shot where I am thinking.."Ok why did he/she take that shot?" What's in it? If I can't see what the photographer sees, then perhaps..just perhaps the photographer missed the mark..IF, I, a average joe was his intended target.

When good criticism is put out there, then the photographer can determine IF the comments are helpful and applicable to what he was intending.

I do really like it when folks comment on others pixs either technically or creativity etc. Both are areas where I have soo much to learn...

Last edited by littlejohn; Feb 20, 2010 at 2:35 AM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:19 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schent1 View Post
If I am posting an image I want both comments & criticism and ask for it, but some people donít ask. When people post images on this site out side of the Photo Critiques section is it assumed that they donít want to here improvement comments unless they ask for it? Or is it assumed that by posting the photo on the site they are open to comment and possible improvements?
One of the reasons we have a separate Photo Critiques Forum is so anyone wanting critique can have a place to get that type of feedback.

That way, you're not going to offend anyone with a Critique in the other forums, letting them have fun sharing their images, showing off their latest lens, etc.

In other words, it's probably not a good idea to Critique someone unless they specifically ask for it (C&C welcome, etc.) in the other forums (unless you know the member well and understand that they don't mind the critique).

Now, there are some exceptions. For example, it's assumed that you are going to receive comments and criticism about an image being posted in the Biweekly Shoot Out Forum. If you click on that forum and view it's list of threads, you'll see some guidelines for it in this "Sticky" Thread:

Guidelines for Posting in the BiWeekly Shootout Forum

You'll also see some guidelines posted as a sticky in the Photo Critiques Forum here:

Photo Critiques Guidelines

However, for other forums, please keep in mind that some members may not want any critique of their images. If they ask for it (C&C Welcome, Comments and Critique Welcome, or something similar), then it's OK to critique them.

Note that even if you post a photo in one of the other forums, we'd also encourage members wanting even more feedback to post it Photo Critiques, too.

That way, members can continue sharing their favorite images in one of the subject specific Post Your Photos Forums, with the opportunity to select a photo they want to get additional feedback on by posting it in Photo Critiques, where members and moderators can share there thoughts about it with more detailed critique.

See this thread for more about it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wo...computers.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:02 PM   #15

Thanks JimC and everyone for the comments on my question. I am not sure why I could not find this info on my own, maybe I did my searching before the changes to the Photo Critiques forum were established. Dustin, the guideline for giving feedback is excellent.

I am some what surprised by the answer however. From my point of view I had expected that nearly everyone that was spending time on this site was trying to learn and develop into a better photographer not just looking for a place to post a photo. With that assumption I would think everyone is looking for C & C. However I see that very few people specifically ask for C & C so I wonder if everyone has this same understanding.

The primary reason I post a photo is for the feedback and wanting to learn what to do different. Generally there is something I see as a problem in my photo and want to know if others see the same issues. I have also learned a great deal by seeing what others post and comments they receive. To me the comments provide one of the best opportunities for learning.

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:37 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schent1 View Post
Thanks JimC and everyone for the comments on my question. I am not sure why I could not find this info on my own, maybe I did my searching before the changes to the Photo Critiques forum were established. Dustin, the guideline for giving feedback is excellent.

I am some what surprised by the answer however. From my point of view I had expected that nearly everyone that was spending time on this site was trying to learn and develop into a better photographer not just looking for a place to post a photo. With that assumption I would think everyone is looking for C & C. However I see that very few people specifically ask for C & C so I wonder if everyone has this same understanding.

The primary reason I post a photo is for the feedback and wanting to learn what to do different. Generally there is something I see as a problem in my photo and want to know if others see the same issues. I have also learned a great deal by seeing what others post and comments they receive. To me the comments provide one of the best opportunities for learning.

Tom

I think that most people are looking to improve and better themselves. But maybe not just with every photograph. Maybe some of their photographs are just for fun, or to share something, or maybe they are perfectly happy with a photograph and just want to share it with their peers. So there are means for people to share like that.

Then for other photographs, they are looking for feedback, or something isn't quite right to them and they want some outside ideas. So we have a forum for very specific feedback like that, or if they want some general comments and critiques on a series, they can simply add "C&C welcome"

by doing it this way, it allows everyone to have fun when they want, and get serious about feedback when they want as well. overall it works quite nicely.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote