Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:53 PM   #1

Default Comments & Criticism Etiquette??

Comments & Criticism Etiquette??

If I am posting an image I want both comments & criticism and ask for it, but some people donít ask. When people post images on this site out side of the Photo Critiques section is it assumed that they donít want to here improvement comments unless they ask for it? Or is it assumed that by posting the photo on the site they are open to comment and possible improvements?

I tend to want to leave both types of comments but am hesitant not knowing the etiquette of the site.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if it falls in the photo critiques forum, it is fair game.

outside of that forum. unless they have said "comments and critiques welcome" or something similar to that, just stick with the pat on the back type comments
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:48 AM   #3

I would just like to add that it should be considered appropriate to also comment in the Sports and Action forum. For years members there have worked to make each other better sports photographers. I encourage people there to comment even if they don't shoot sports & action themselves. It's a difficult type of shooting and helpful critique makes us all better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
IFor years members there have worked to make each other better sports photographers. I encourage people there to comment even if they don't shoot sports & action themselves. It's a difficult type of shooting and helpful critique makes us all better.
Yes I would agree 100% comments make us all better photographers especially shooting action and sports. I have had gotten a lot of great ideas and camera setting advice here and its been a major help. It makes all the better in the long runa snd that is why most of us are here

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5

Why does anyone post a photo on the site? While there is a specific area called Comments and Criticism, the other areas are more subject specific, but still require a comment. How long would you remain a member if you posted your best and no one said anything. Usually its a good photo and some kind of compliment is expected. Some praise about their creative, skillful photographic abilities. That said, if they expect that then they should also expect other honest comments if the pic is not as good as they think it is. Thats called constructive criticism. There are a couple who post pics here who only acknowledge praise and completely ignore any other kind of comment. I dont think thats very constructive for either the poster or the viewer.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:43 PM   #6

I have seen some very rancorous 'discussions' both in the Critiques section and in others, people have been banned for refusal to be civil, so I think Dustin's advice is the best to follow for this. And when critiquing, be gentle - someone has put forth effort and wants constructive advice, not to be torn down in what is essentialy a public place.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:47 PM   #7

I don't disagree with you Bynx, no one would hang around here if they didn't get some type of feedback. And positive criticism (I like this part, I think you could have done this and it would make it a better picture etc.) is a good thing.

However, some of us feel totally inadequate when it comes to commenting about pictures, other than "gee, I really like this". If I have a good idea of what I would do differently or how to make a picture better, I'll say it (i.e., I'd like your flower picture with a bigger/smaller dof), but I'd never dare to suggest anything to someone shooting sports beyond whether I like it or not - I'm totally clueless when it comes to action and sports. Since I have a great affinity for doing things wrong, I'm sure any suggestions I might come up with about a sports picture would be exactly the opposite of what one should do. Maybe I should write a book "How NOT to take pictures..." - my mistakes would fill volumes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Why does anyone post a photo on the site? While there is a specific area called Comments and Criticism, the other areas are more subject specific, but still require a comment. How long would you remain a member if you posted your best and no one said anything. Usually its a good photo and some kind of compliment is expected. Some praise about their creative, skillful photographic abilities. That said, if they expect that then they should also expect other honest comments if the pic is not as good as they think it is. Thats called constructive criticism. There are a couple who post pics here who only acknowledge praise and completely ignore any other kind of comment. I dont think thats very constructive for either the poster or the viewer.
While this is true to a point, I have been to and left other forums because some people get carried away and go to extreme. Leading to pixel-peeping, camera snobbery, and downright nastiness. Moderators on said forums, being afraid of confrontation, "offending" the offender, or for whatever other reasons, just let it go on. It discourages the poster more than helps and loses what could become a GOOD and helpful future phototog and contributor to the forums. I'm not saying the mods here would turn a blind eye to that sort of behavior (at least I would hope not), just saying that I've left more forums than not simply because these jerks hide behind the skirts of their anonymity and favoritism of the mods all the while claiming it's "constructive criticism".
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:41 PM   #9

As for me, if anyone is truly interested in photography and post a picture here I will exclaim its a great one or not. I dont comment on everyone's efforts, but do so on those whose efforts merit it. If you posted your pics gj and no one said a word regarding them, how long would you continue to post. It would be like you make an effort to post the pics and no one appreciates them one way or the other and couldnt be bothered to say a word. I always see lots of viewers with hardly a peep. I say to them, if you cant comment a word one way or the other, then dont even bother to look. I dont feel Im here to entertain people. Now sometimes comments have already been made and my adding another comment would only be repetitious, then I dont say anything. But I strongly feel the first person to see a new post is obligated to say something. Anything. As for what gets said. I dont feel any verbal abuse should be tolerated by anyone. But there are times someone will post a picture that looks like the shutter was accidently tripped by the cat as it walked by. The subject is bad, the compostion is bad, the lighting is bad, absolutely everything about it is bad and they are looking for a C&C. Or they will post it with the idea -- Look at this, I didnt follow any of the rules and this pic is so crappy it looks great doesnt it. They deserve an answer. Everyone can use some C&C and it should be encouraged. Some just deserve to be set straight. But no one deserves to be ignored.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
As for me, if anyone is truly interested in photography and post a picture here I will exclaim its a great one or not. I dont comment on everyone's efforts, but do so on those whose efforts merit it. If you posted your pics gj and no one said a word regarding them, how long would you continue to post. It would be like you make an effort to post the pics and no one appreciates them one way or the other and couldnt be bothered to say a word. I always see lots of viewers with hardly a peep. I say to them, if you cant comment a word one way or the other, then dont even bother to look. I dont feel Im here to entertain people. Now sometimes comments have already been made and my adding another comment would only be repetitious, then I dont say anything. But I strongly feel the first person to see a new post is obligated to say something. Anything. As for what gets said. I dont feel any verbal abuse should be tolerated by anyone. But there are times someone will post a picture that looks like the shutter was accidently tripped by the cat as it walked by. The subject is bad, the compostion is bad, the lighting is bad, absolutely everything about it is bad and they are looking for a C&C. Or they will post it with the idea -- Look at this, I didnt follow any of the rules and this pic is so crappy it looks great doesnt it. They deserve an answer. Everyone can use some C&C and it should be encouraged. Some just deserve to be set straight. But no one deserves to be ignored.
I agree. BUT, done tactfully and without being nasty. If an image is crap and the OP asks for C&C, a critique can be made without saying something like, "What were you thinking when you shot this? It's utter rubbish." As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." A more tactful way to approach it would be something like, "What were you trying to convey with this?". I've seen this method used right here on these forums and it gets a good reception and response... and rightfully so. If even THEY fail in a response then, just drop it because anything after that would fall on deaf ears. I agree with you that a post shouldn't be ignored. To me, that's not the way to learn or to teach. I know... I get LOTS of mine ignored and I wonder who I ticked off .
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote