Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:42 PM   #21

Yes it is a very good tool to see the comparison. You can really see how the crop factor affects the aspect.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:58 PM   #22

It's true - someone commented that the Pentax had a slightly larger sensor, and I thought that it was comparing to other APS-C, but I saw that the comparison was with Canon. In fact Pentax K-X has same size than Nikon D90... So it's in the standard and there will no problem with Tamrac or Sigma lenses.
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:04 PM   #23

Marcelo,

Tamrac makes camera bags, Tamron make lenses. Not sure if you are confusing the two.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:07 PM   #24

About QUALITY, I really expect lower quality or lower light with a large zoom (18-250) than a smaller zoom or even a fixed fov lens. I had in my old film SLR a 28-200mm (an "wow" on those times!), made by an "alternative" brand, and knew it had lower quality than an original and lower range, but I played a lot with it due it's flexibility and the fact to be always there!

The questions are:

1 - Is the loss of quality (or light) so relevant to make it unusable?

2 - Is the loss of quality (or light) so small to allow I to buy ONLY this wide zoom lens, and do not buy a 18-55 to the indoor meetings I want to shot?

I need a SINGLE lens starting in 28mm eq and going far tele to use in tourism, landscapes, artistic and familiar use, without the need to carry 2 or to exchange in each scene. This is a not so critical situation. The question is IF I NEED the other one (18-55) to shot the events - will it make such difference?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:09 PM   #25

Ops, Tamrac <> Tamron. I knew only Tamrac before - I met Tamron just now, starting this dSLR search! Thanks!

BTW - Is Tamron a good brand? And Sigma? Are they comparable to the "original" lenses (Pentax, Nikon, etc)?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:13 PM   #26

If you want a single lens solution, I would get the pentax k-x body and get the tamron or pentax 18-250mm lens. It drop off will not be that noticeable. And for you coming off a bridge camera, I doubt you will notice the difference. And if you do, you may have to really zoom in or print very large.

Everyone has difference needs. And the tamron and pentax 18-250mm are very good lenses. I've seen sample picture from a friend in germany that has the tamron 18-270mm for the canon. And I can barely see the difference. So if you are that into best IQ, then the 2 lens is the way to go. But if the one is option is key, the 18-250 for the pentax or the 18-270 for canon or nikon would be my picks. They are very good megazoom lenses.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:23 PM   #27

Yes tamron is a good brand like sigma and tokina for 3rd party lenses. I think tamron make the 18-250mm lens for pentax.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:22 AM   #28

Hi, Shoturtle, thanks again!

At this moment during this search this is the way that seems better. A dSLR with a wide zoom lens.

As you said I may not need to have an extra lens - but as there is a goal to shot in low light, maybe it's possible to study an option, between a "std" 18-55 or something else (shorter, fixed) that can give even more light (and less noise) in indoor events.

Between Pentax K-X and Nikon D90 - what is the best option?

(Pentax has lower cost, better ISO, but as the sensor is the same size, I do not believe in these miraculous ISO - probably it will be too noise to eliminate the advantage over ISO 6400 that both have)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:23 AM   #29

BTW, is there any difference in light conditions between APS-C lenses and full 35mm lenses? Of course 35mm gets more light to the larger area, but if using a full 35mm lens on an APS-C camera I think that all this extra light (comming thru the borders) is unuseful, right? The full 35mm are hevier and probably will give less vignetting, but ill give more light to the actual subject?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:37 AM   #30

D90 is a better camera it is reflexed in the price, but the pentax is a better low light camera. I consider the D90 when I was considering the switch from a slr to dslr. But the D90 was a bit large for my wife, and I really did not nee all the extra features. So I went with the T1i. But I recommended the k-x to my brother, as low light was important to him, and it has a slight edge over my t1i in that department.

The kit lens has a similar constraints as the tamron in aperture. The tamron 3.5-6.3 vs the 2 kit lens 3.5-5.8, the widest is 3.5 the kit lens and the megazoom. So you will have similar low light performance. Only at the longer zoom will the 2 lens kit have a big edge with the slightly larger aperture. But you not be using a fast shutter speed if you are at 225mm and up anyways in low light where the 5.8 will give the 2 kit lens a slight advantage over the 6.3 of the megazoom. The noise level of the pentax is not that bad at 6400iso and quite acceptable at 12800, the t1i is a bit nosier at 12800.

I have shot the pentax at 12800 at 3.5 and it is not bad.

The imagine quality between the D90 and K-x are very similar. As the d90 and d5000 shear the same sensor. I think even if you are pixel peeping it would be a dead heat between the k-x and d90 in IQ

Personally I would save the money on the d90 body, get the k-x or t1i. And put the extra toward a flash or a fast prime lens like a 50mm 1.8 or 1.7 with the pentax.