Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
BTW, is there any difference in light conditions between APS-C lenses and full 35mm lenses? Of course 35mm gets more light to the larger area, but if using a full 35mm lens on an APS-C camera I think that all this extra light (comming thru the borders) is unuseful, right? The full 35mm are hevier and probably will give less vignetting, but ill give more light to the actual subject?
I actually use mostly Full Frame lenses on my T1i, I had them form my eos 1. And they perform quite well, once I got uses to the crop factor thing. I uses to use the 50mm prime allot on full frame and not to much a 28mm prime. But since moving to the T1i, I find myself using a 28mm prime way more. So I recently traded my ef 28mm 2.8 for a used ef 28mm 1.8 USM lens instead. And I am loving it.

If I went for a sigma 12-24mm wide angle that works on both FF and crop, I was told I would see the vignetting on the ff not the crop body at the wider end.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:51 PM   #32

Also with the K-x you get stabilization on all lenses as it has sensor shift vs lenses IS. To get that with the D90 you will have to get lenses that have VC.

All my prime lenses for my canon are not stabilized. But it is not to much of a concern as I can use a higher iso and wider aperture to negate the need of stabilization. But if I were to use a longer zoom without IS, it would make it a bit harder to get a good shot without IS. That is why I upgrade form my old EF 70-210 to a EF 70-300 IS USM. It gave me more keeper with long zoom hand held shots. It was a big issue when I shot film, with the cost of film and process before I saw the results. IS gave me more keeps then and way more now with digital.

So if you got a 50mm 1.7 fast prime with the pentax, and have IS on. You would have an awesome low light set up. This is a set up I am looking at when I get my olympus EPL1 with a panny 20mm 1.7 for my wifes travel camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:04 AM   #33

Considering your explanation, if the "standard" 18-55 will give almost the same result than the 18-250mm, I will check for second lens a shorter lens or even a fixed lighter lens, having in mind the aperture, around 1.8 as you said.

Sorry about the abuse - but a reply leads to another question...

All recent cameras uses NR (Noise Reduction) algorithms in the larger sensibility. A compact P&S Sony DSC-W170 I've been using since my main camera broke shots very light photos in a large room (event room), in low light conditions - they look excelent, light and noiseless in the LCD display, BUT... when we open in the computer we notice that the higher ISO activated NR, and the image is actually blurred (several small blurs, like painting spots), as like the camera tried to mix the noise spots... The noise disapears, but all details too! In practice the image is only usable in small view...

So, in these cameras we are talking about (Pentax K-X or Nikon D90), when using high ISO, do we get low noise but still detailed and crisp images? (with no other kind of quality loss)
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:12 AM   #34

So if you got a 50mm 1.7 fast prime with the pentax, and have IS on. You would have an awesome low light set up match with the high ISO of 3200.

Nikon seems to be the most aggressive with noise reduction. From my eyes view, having borrowed a d90 before make up my mind on the T1i. I find that the nikon had less noise but it also flatten out the colors. It was not as vivid.

But with the much larger aps-c or ff. The noise be very well controll to 6400 with the pentax, and be acceptable at 12800. I will post a 12800iso shot from my canon in a little bit to show you the higher iso performance. Note that the pentax is better then the canon in this department.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:28 AM   #35

The first one was taken at 6400iso at 1.8 at 1/60 follow by an extreme crop
The second one was taken at 12800iso at 1.8 at 1/125 follow by an extreme crop. Looking at the photo at full screen they are not bad for such high ISO especially the 6400. At 12800 the pentax is a bit better then the canon.
Sorry do not know how to do a 100% crop on the new aperture yet.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:44 AM   #36

About aperture, checking in B&H I just found 1 option, a f/1.4 lens fixed 30mm (45mm eq), of course very bright, but not so wide angle. I expected to find wider lenses at this f/ range. All others for Pentax are f/2.8 or above. The wider lenses are even darker. And this lens is not cheap - USD 440 - more expensive than the 18-200 lenses... So, considering that the standard 18-55 is f/3.5 just like the 18-200/250, I think that at this moment the configuration will be a single lens kit!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:57 AM   #37

I love the 28mm 1.8 for my crop body, as I really like the close to eye view of 50mm. The 30mm 1.4 would be a very good lens for an eye view prospective. Even with canon beside a couple of L lenses, only the 28mm comes wider then 2.8. Even the 20mm is at 2.8 from canon.

If you are looking for wide angle. I would look at sigma 10-20mm. They are very good wide angle also. Tokina does not have their excellent wide angle zoom for pentax.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:59 AM   #38

Its amazing to be able to take photos in this condition at 1/60 s and 1/125 s with 12800 ISO. You can take night pictures almost as being under the Sun (no need flash, no need for tripod...).

Your lens is bright (f/1.8), and of course helps (with f/3.5 from the 18-250 I'll get double exposure time). And the result you shown is really very good - as you told the noise in ISO 6400 is good and in 12800 very acceptable (of course we can see it when extremly cropping, but in the full view the image is great).

Shoturtle, thanks a lot for all information, tips and examples provided. I really learnt a lot today! (it's very late here - I'll return tomorrow)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:01 AM   #39

Good nite, glad to help
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:10 AM   #40

Here is the same shot at 3.5 at 1/25 at 12800iso still hand holdable. But if you add IS with the pentax. It would give you bit more leeway.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote