Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want a single lens solution, I would get the pentax k-x body and get the tamron or pentax 18-250mm lens. ...
Here's a slightly different idea. If you want a 'jack of all trades, master of none' lens on a body that has useable high ISO capability, you might consider the Sony A500/A550 with the Sony 18-250. Sony's A500 and A550 can go up to ISO 12800 like the Pentax K-x, and while they can't record video like the Pentax, thay have a tiltable LCD display and a better autofocus system for 'Live View' than the Pentax. And while Tamron makes the 18-250 for both Pentax and Sony, the Sony branded lens has faster AF gearing, so it focuses faster than the Tamron or Pentax branded lenses.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 22, 2010 at 6:25 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:37 AM   #42

But it is allot more expensive the the K-x.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But it is allot more expensive the the K-x.
For the 15MP A550? Yes.

For the 12MP A500? Not so much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:10 PM   #44

yes and no,

K-x with a 2 lens kit is 650 dollars.
a500 with 1 lens is 800 dollars.

Still a pretty big difference.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:15 PM   #45
Administrator

The A500 isn't too bad price wise. It's $699 right now at popular vendors (body only price, since you wouldn't need a kit lens if you went with something like an 18-250mm anyway).

As TCav mentioned, it also has faster Autofocus using Live View (*much* faster than other dSLR models). It also has a tilting LCD (for better use of it's nicer Live View features). For that matter, it's also going to be much faster than the Pentax (or most other camera models in it's price range for that matter) using the optical viewfinder, too.

Like the Pentax K-x, the Sony A500 uses a Sony 12MP CMOS sensor (as do models like the Nikon D5000, D300, D300s, D90 and others). Sony's image processing is a bit different, and NR is a bit on the strong side using it's defaults. But, Sony's approach has better highlight range for DR purposes (whereas the Pentax seems to have tuned the Sony sensor it uses for better high ISO performance at the expense of some of the highlight range). Pros and Cons.

Sony's approach can give you better dynamic range while saving work in PP later (stronger NR, reducing the need to use NR software for typical print and viewing sizes). There are pros and cons to both approaches. But the Sony is a much faster camera anyway in areas like AF speed (especially using Live View), frame rate, etc. However, it doesn't have video recording if that's a concern.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:23 PM   #46

Yes Jim, it is 699 till friday when the rebate ends on the a500 with the one lens kit. But if you factor in a second lens it puts the A500 into a alot higher price range. The pentax is 653 at amazon with the 2 lens kit with the 300mm zoom. The K-x with the one lens kit is 514 dollar form the same vendor as the a500.

I agree it is a higher end camera, just like the d90. But it might be better to save on the body and put it toward better glass.

But the K-x is no slouch in the AF department, it a bit slower then my T1i. But still pretty good, it is actually faster the the K-7 form my experience. It is a better pentax AF system that they put on the K-x.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:26 PM   #47
Administrator

You were the one suggesting a single lens solution using an 18-250mm, from what I can see of the quote TCav used. ;-)

Originally Posted by shoturtle
Quote:
...I would get the pentax k-x body and get the tamron or pentax 18-250mm lens. ...
The Sony would be another alternative to look at, with some advantages in some areas compared to the Pentax.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:31 PM   #48

no I was not, I was saying if the op wanted a single lens solution because it fits his needs. It would not be as bad as allot have put it. And it seems like the OP is playing with the idea of a 2 lens system instead. Something I prefer personally. As I shoot mainly primes.

But to address the AF issue. The k-x has a better af system then the K-7. It not that bad, and I have shot it side by side with the class leader T1i. And yes it is not as fast as the canon, but it was respectable. The K-7 was allot slower when I tested it out last june.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:52 PM   #49
Administrator

I'm sure it's not bad (Pentax K-x AF system). But, having read opinions from users that have both a newer Sony model and the Pentax K-x, the Sony is a much better camera in performance related areas (AF speed, ability to focus in lower light, performance in other areas like response of image playback, menus, etc.); as well as a faster frame rate if you need it for sports.

It's also got some nice features like a tilting LCD with a far more usable Live View mode, Auto HDR that automatically aligns the images in camera to reduce the need for a tripod and more. It's in camera stabilization system is far more effective than the Pentax system based on recent tests I've seen, too. IOW, for an extra $160 from what I can see of current body only prices at vendors right now, you're getting a lot more camera with the Sony A500 (unless you need video recording, which the Sony doesn't offer).

On the other hand, the Pentax has a lot of "bang for the buck", especially with the deals going on right now with lens bundles (if you're not looking for a single lens solution). It's also hard to beat for high ISO noise levels. There are pros and cons to any of them.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:17 PM   #50

Actually the hdr on the pentax is not that bad, a steady hand and you can get a pretty nice hdr shot with the k-x. And the k-x is a lighter camera, it is a bit easier to walk around with.

Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. My brother like the HD feature and it was a great bang for the buck dslr. With some really good performance. 650 with 2 lens kit with the 300mm.

Also if the OP does not buy before friday. The difference will jump back over 200 dollars. But this should not be an impulse buy.