Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:55 PM   #51

Hi People!

Very good debate! To make it harder, considering the 2 options compared (Pentax K-X and Sony A500, more expensive), how do you position the Nikon D90 in this comparision? It's a bit more expensive than the Sony, I think. Pros and Cons? If some one want to suggest other models in this range it may be intersting!

I'll buy it only at the end or March, when I'll be in USA, and rebates are not much useful for me... Also as there is not a B&H in Orlando I'm not sure the variety I'll have to choose. I'm worried about the Sigma/Tamron lenses availability - I'll start to contact the shops just after deciding the model (we are in the middle of this process - with the great help from all of you!)

Of course I'll put all you are pointing in the analysis to choose the model. Of course a cost effective camera is welcome, as Pentax seems to be, and it is also recommended as a champion in low light conditions, so it's a strong competitor. About Sony, while it's not a REQUIREMENT, to record videos may be useful in some circunstances... but I'll check the camera too, considering that Tilt Live View displays are a very useful tool for framing (was an advantage I pointed to Prosumer Nikon P90). And Nikon D90 I'v seen being used by many professional photograpehrs may be a option if we realize that it have enough advantages that pay it's higher costs.

About single lens solution, it's the way to "play" and have fun with the camera, as I would do with a Prosumer camera. As Shoturtle pointed, the 18-200/250 has the same aperture (f/3.5) than the usually provided 18-55 - so this lens makes no sense... I'm trying to find a clearer (<f/2) short wide to be the option, but I did not find much options...

(we finished crossing the subjects discussing dSLRs in this topic, and cropping in the other - if you want to continue the debate about dSLRs in the other topic (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/166463-dslr-x-prosumer.html) the admins may thanks...)
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:04 PM   #52

we are compare apples to oranges, the D90 and A500 are in then next tier of camera. So the D90 and A500 has way more options. The question is do you need all those features. The pentax in the lower teir has HD, HDR and a 12800iso. Something that the neither the A500 or D90 has all these features. Both the D90 and A500 will AF better the the pentax, but it is not like a night and day difference. If you were to shoot allot of sports. I would go with the A500 or D90 because of the better AF system and faster burst rates.

Also for what you are saving with the D90 and A500, you can put it toward better lenses or a flash. Something like a nice 50mm 1.4 prime lens. The best one one the market is the Sigma 50mm 1.4. It a bit heavy but it is a really great fast prime.

Are you planning to go with a one lens option or go with the 2 kit lens?

Also, if this camera is going to be a walk around and travel camera, the smaller size of the pentax makes it a better travel partner. I travel allot, and I have a 500D, but it is still at time to much camera to travel with.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:11 PM   #53

Marcelo,

Ritz camera is pretty good in the orlando area. They carry a good selection of lenses and cameras.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:39 PM   #54

The D90 is a better camera than the K-x or the A500, but its ISO doesn't go as high as the K-x or A500. (What constitutes a useable high ISO is a seperate matter.) But the Nikon (and a Canon, btw) has a better selection of large aperture (>f/2.8) lenses than Pentax and Sony have.

BTW, if you know what you want, you can order it from B&H and have it delivered to where you'll be staying in Orlando.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The D90 is a better camera than the K-x or the A500, but its ISO doesn't go as high as the K-x or A500. (What constitutes a useable high ISO is a seperate matter.) But the Nikon (and a Canon, btw) has a better selection of large aperture (>f/2.8) lenses than Pentax and Sony have.

BTW, if you know what you want, you can order it from B&H and have it delivered to where you'll be staying in Orlando.
That is a good thing, you save on the taxes as it is not in NYS. If you get one in Orlando, you would have to pay the sales taxes there.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:47 PM   #56

The canon 500D that I shoot has a 12800 iso, and you have seen the examples of them in low light. I shoot mostly big aperture prime. And my smallest prime is a 100mm 2.8 marco. Only reason I do not have a 100mm F2 is because I would be doubling up on that range. So the T1i/500D is a camera worth looking into. It gives you HD also.

I would avoid the d5000 as it has a lens issue, where not all the nikon lenses will AF on it because it does not have an AF motor built into the body. And a big aperture 50mm prime for this model is about 450 dollars. For that price I would get the sigma 50mm 1.4

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would avoid the d5000 as it has a lens issue, where not all the nikon lenses will AF on it because it does not have an AF motor built into the body. And a big aperture 50mm prime for this model is about 450 dollars. For that price I would get the sigma 50mm 1.4

It's time to let this argument go. There are close to 100 lenses (not including any lenses released recently. Yes there is a shortage of primes available, but there are plenty of f2.8 zooms, including very good quality ones from 3rd party makers that are great values in the used market. Plus of the few primes available, there is a 35 f1.8 which is arguably a better focal length than a 50 on an aps-c sensor camera, especially indoors. New lenses will continue to be released which will make this even less of an issue. If you can't find a lens to fit your needs, it's because you're not looking.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
It's time to let this argument go. There are close to 100 lenses (not including any lenses released recently. Yes there is a shortage of primes available, but there are plenty of f2.8 zooms, including very good quality ones from 3rd party makers that are great values in the used market. Plus of the few primes available, there is a 35 f1.8 which is arguably a better focal length than a 50 on an aps-c sensor camera, especially indoors. New lenses will continue to be released which will make this even less of an issue. If you can't find a lens to fit your needs, it's because you're not looking.
50mm fast prime for the d5000, what is the least expensive on you can put on it?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
50mm fast prime for the d5000, what is the least expensive on you can put on it?
Yes, I know it's the 50 f1.4 (either the Nikon or Sigma version). I know it's not cheap. I also know, that the 35 f1.8 is around $200 and arguably a better option on a non full frame DSLR, especially indoors. I'd also argue, investing in a flash is a much better, more versatile option in most situations, as ISO becomes a non issue. Coupled with the fact that Nikon currently has the best flash system, hands down, I will stand by my statement that the lack of AF motor in body is a non issue. It definitely was several years ago, but it just doesn't hold true anymore.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:29 PM   #60

But if you look at the market that the D5000 is sloted, it is counter productive. It is 100+ more expensive then the pentax which is a bit pricey but not the same price of the body alone. It is an entry level camera, and there should be entry level lens for it. The canon XSi is a low cost camera, you can slap a 100 dollar 50mm 1.8 on it or a 200 dollar 28mm 2.8 on it. Not everyone wants to put out the heavy investment on prime lenses with a entry level dslr. Or has the money to upgrade to the next tier to get the uses of the low price primes out there. Kind of defeats the purpose of having and entry model if you need to upgrade to add a 50mm prime or spend more then the price of the body for the lens. That is the thing that nikon goof with the dxxxx camera.

But they did a very nice job in the next tier camera with the D90.

with canon you can get entry level prime from 28, 35, 50mm and a 50mm macro also for under 250 for their entry level camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM.