Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:59 AM   #71

Hi folks, please don't fight! Actually both are right.

I'ts really confusing due the 2 parallel topics... But I started asking about the comparison between a prosumer and dSLR camera, for 2 tasks: 1) casual fun photo; 2) shot indoor meetings. The prosumer (like P90) seemed better for the first task, as being low weight and powerfull zoom. But we agreed that it would never give the same light for low light shots as a dSLR (then the Pentax K-X was suggested). As the talk evoluted, we realized that all the fun from a P90 can be found in a dSLR, like live-preview, video and even tilt LCD, and specially wide zoom (18-250mm) (at this point I did the other topic due confusion interpreting the notation) - here D90, A500 and 500d ware suggested - the D5000 came later.

Of course a super-zoom 18-250mm at f/3.5 on an APS-C will perform better in lo-light then a prosumer with 1/2.33" sensor, so this lens could solve everything - the 1 lens solution fits well. BUT, also, Shoturtle brought great tests with low light conditions that shown the extended possibilities in this condition, and we started to talk about the possibility to have an extra lens to use indoor. Again, it is not strictly necessary, but with them a better performance can be achieved. BUT, as I'm a wide-angle lover, I realized thet there aren't options with wide zoom and clear lens, as you just pointed. So for a prime the option should be a 35mm that will become a "too tele" 42mm for my taste, and I really don't know if it suits the purpose to shot many people together...

I'd like to thank all of you a lot, Shoturtle, rjseeney, TCav, JimC and others that are providing a very valuable help in this decision process. Its difficult, due the options. Between the messages we are exchanging I'm reading reviews, specs, manuals, shop sites... and learning a lot.

About the choice, it is not defined and I have a lot to study, but at this moment I'm with good eyes for the D5000 due the feature set. I found a comparison chart that shows that it's really much similar to D90 in almost everything (http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Commo...LR_Compare.pdf). And if I can find them, it can use the same 18-250mm Tamron lenses (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features), that seems to fit due the internal motor.

But the search is far from the end, and I hope to keep counting on you in this journey. Thanks and good night!
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:05 AM   #72

Marcelo,

No fights, as I try to explain that I was getting confuse also.

Since you are a wide angle shooter mostly. I would consider looking at a tokina 11-16mm 2.8 for a canon or nikon body. Tamron 10-24mm 3.5-4.5 . The sigma 10-20mm 3.5 HSM for all the camera under consideration. They will give you a 15 or 18mm 35mm eq. The tokina is a brighter lens then the sigma, but the sigma is a faster AF lens.

You may also want to look at some of the fish eye lens option. Like the pentax 10-17mm fisheye. Or the sigma 10mm 2.8, They would be very wide angle lenses.

The pentax and sony will have an advantage with some of these lens as they do not have IS in them, and the body will still give you IS. But IS is not as important with the shorter ranges.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:46 PM   #73

Marcelo,

If you have a budget in mind it will help the board give you better suggestions. As right now you have it wide open on camera bodies.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:05 PM   #74

About lenses, in the beginning I though that wide-angle lenses ware more clear than mid lenses, because their larger diameter and field of view - it SEEMS that they could get more light... But as we saw the lighetst lenses are in the mid range - the primes - 35mm or 50mm.

It's clear that I'll start with an all-purpose wide zoom, like 18-200. After some time probably I'll have temptations to improve the equipment, so or a prime like the 32mm due it's light (f/1.4) (despite I consider it too "tele", and there is the no-zoom limitation).

About the Wide-Angles (with short zoom) you mentioned, if they are all 1/2.8 I don't know if they will make many difference in light to the f/3.5 of the large zoom...I like wides to that purpose to shot people in rooms, but a 18mm (APS-C) is enough. So if they cannot bring more light, there is no reason to get them.

I'm sure that once I'm going to a dSLR, like 15 years ago, it will be only the beginning. After the initial set maybe a second lens, after the second lens in the future maybe a higher camera... It's endless...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:06 PM   #75

To continue this subject abot LENSES, I started a new thread in the what-camera-should-i-buy section:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...om-lenses.html

And about choosing models, I'll continue this discussion in my original thread or in other threads about dSLR comparison I saw there:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...-prosumer.html

Lets be nice to the Admins! :-)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
About lenses, in the beginning I though that wide-angle lenses ware more clear than mid lenses, because their larger diameter and field of view - it SEEMS that they could get more light... But as we saw the lighetst lenses are in the mid range - the primes - 35mm or 50mm.

It's clear that I'll start with an all-purpose wide zoom, like 18-200. After some time probably I'll have temptations to improve the equipment, so or a prime like the 32mm due it's light (f/1.4) (despite I consider it too "tele", and there is the no-zoom limitation).

About the Wide-Angles (with short zoom) you mentioned, if they are all 1/2.8 I don't know if they will make many difference in light to the f/3.5 of the large zoom...I like wides to that purpose to shot people in rooms, but a 18mm (APS-C) is enough. So if they cannot bring more light, there is no reason to get them.

I'm sure that once I'm going to a dSLR, like 15 years ago, it will be only the beginning. After the initial set maybe a second lens, after the second lens in the future maybe a higher camera... It's endless...
With the 2.8 vs 3.5. It can make a big difference in low light actually. It does let more light. And with the zoom, as you zoom out the f stops get smaller like a 3.5-5.6 depending on the range of the zoom, it will have different max f stop. It could mean the difference of need a flash or not depending on the light conditions for a hand held shot. So it comes down to you what is more important. But if you have a high iso camera that goes to 12800 iso. As my example show that it was right at the limit of hand holding at 3.5. But with in camera IS, it will give you more leeway with the darker lens.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:12 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It may not be as good as a 2 lens solution, but it is respectable in imagine quality. It comes down to what is more of a priority. The one lens solution has it's appeal for the lighter packing, and less fuss factor. For some the little less imagine IQ is worth it. And come off a bridge camera, that degradation would not be that apparent.

The Pentax 2 lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 is actually very good. It would cover allot of the needs of most shooters. But if you do not want to be switching lens. The tamron 18-250mm on the pentax is quite good form what I have read.

And for the canon the 18-270mm is very good if I ever wanted a 1 lens solution.
IMO, the best "super zoom" lenses are the Nikon 18-200mm, closely followed by the Tamron 18-250mm (the Pentax 18-250mm is the same lens), then a bit further behind is the Tamron 18-270mm. Further back still are the Sigma 18-250mm, Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 18-200mm, and very last is the Canon 18-200mm.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:17 AM   #78

But the 18-270 is a better one solution lens as 200mm may be a bit short for an around lens. The 270 gives that much more reach for a all in one solution.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:23 PM   #79

I have to wonder why you want the compromise of wide angle to 250? The reach is not great enough for sports or wildlife photography, and I doubt if the quality even comes close to matching a prime.

For street photography I use a 28 to 105, f 2.8 (throughout) lens, and it's just what this situation calls for. If I wanted to do sports or wildlife, it wouldn't work, but neither would the lenses under discussion. Whereas my lens almost matches a prime. True, cost a pretty penny, $700 to be exact, but then again, you get what you pay for.

What exactely do you want to use this lens for?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote