Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:06 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

If you didn't record light to make the image, then it's not a photograph. Adjusting sliders in a modeling program than alter the position and intensity of virtual light sources isn't creating a photograph. It's creating a photorealistic image.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:16 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you didn't record light to make the image, then it's not a photograph. Adjusting sliders in a modeling program than alter the position and intensity of virtual light sources isn't creating a photograph. It's creating a photorealistic image.
Well, I find the logic sureal. But assuming that it's not sureal, you want to back this up from Mr. Dictionary? Does Mr. Dictionary use the word "virtual," or are you merely squezzing this for all it's worth?

All of my images are based on the use of light. This arbitrary distinction on a board where 100 percent of the users use virtual light to process if not modify their images is just merely saying, "I'm right, because I am right."

Might as well join me in purchasing some dark room equipment because we all ALL using virtual light.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:03 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,646
Default

In case anyone was interested. This is pure unadulterated ART. Done by a master airbrush artist. No camera work at all. Just spraypaint and masking.
Attached Images
 
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:10 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Well, I find the logic sureal. But assuming that it's not sureal, you want to back this up from Mr. Dictionary? Does Mr. Dictionary use the word "virtual," or are you merely squezzing this for all it's worth?

All of my images are based on the use of light. This arbitrary distinction on a board where 100 percent of the users use virtual light to process if not modify their images is just merely saying, "I'm right, because I am right."

Might as well join me in purchasing some dark room equipment because we all ALL using virtual light.
No. In post processing, we may use a computer to increase or decrease the amplitude of the recorded light, a process that is called 'Dodge and Burn' in the darkroom. We may even alter the sharpness and contrast of an image using the digital equivalent of the darkroom technique called 'Unsharp Masking'.

But we don't create nonexistent subjects, nor do we alter the lighting on nonexistent subjects. If it only exists inside your computer, then it's not 'Photography'.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 28, 2010 at 4:24 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:29 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
In case anyone was interested. This is pure unadulterated ART. Done by a master airbrush artist. No camera work at all. Just spraypaint and masking.
I couldn't imagine a woman dressed as beautifully as that consenting to having her photo taken while she had so many hairs out of place.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:06 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,646
Default

Ah you bald guys are always thinking about hair.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:51 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No. In post processing, we may use a computer to increase or decrease the amplitude of the recorded light, a process that is called 'Dodge and Burn' in the darkroom. We may even alter the sharpness and contrast of an image using the digital equivalent of the darkroom technique called 'Unsharp Masking'.

But we don't create nonexistent subjects, nor do we alter the lighting on nonexistent subjects. If it only exists inside your computer, then it's not 'Photography'.
Since Mr. Dictionary completely disagree's with you, all of the above is merely saying - "My definition is something you are going to have to accept."

Who are you?

How about my definition? I DEMAND that you accept it. "Photography is the art of making a scene appear to the human eye, as close to how it actually was as possible. All else, is in one form or another, Art"

So there!!!

I at least acknowledge that we have to redefine photography - You are inisisting that YOUR definition must be the definition because you Say it's the definition. Since you cannot back up your defenition, I suggest you drop it.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:57 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
In case anyone was interested. This is pure unadulterated ART. Done by a master airbrush artist. No camera work at all. Just spraypaint and masking.
So she IS single! You have a telephone number?

Your definitions of photography certainly come closer to Mr. Dictionary than my arbitrary take on the subject. But TCav is insisting that we can't, "count" virtual light as light...

Yet Mr. Dictionary merely states that a photograph, records light. I don't see the word "virtual" in ANY of the definitions. Good thing too, because that would also wipe out any alterations of light using photoshop... In fact, unless we want to go back to the chemicals and stuff, none of us are making photographs.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:01 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,234
Default

I'm not familiar with Mr. Dictionary, but if he believes 'Rocket Ship' is synonymous with 'Airplane', then I suspect any other definitions are equally bogus, so let's forget Mr. Dictionary.

Photo, as we all seem to agree, relates to light. 'Graph' is to draw. (graphite, graphic arts, etc). A photograph is therefore drawn with light.
TCav's definition stands up to this. Yours doesn't.
If it doesn't begin as light, it isn't a photograph.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:23 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Webster's New World College Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects upon a photosensitive surface (as film in a camera) by the chemical action of light or other radiant energy"

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)"

Wikipedia: "the process, activity and art of creating still or moving pictures by recording radiation on a sensitive medium ..."

American Heritage Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces"

Collins English Dictionary: "the process of recording images on sensitized material by the action of light, X-rays, etc., and the chemical processing of this material to produce a print, slide, or cine film"

Which Mr. Dictionary are you using that disagrees with me?
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.