Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Yet Mr. Dictionary merely states that a photograph, records light. I don't see the word "virtual" in ANY of the definitions.
That would rule out the use of virtual light in creating a photograph, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Good thing too, because that would also wipe out any alterations of light using photoshop...
No. Once again, anything that happens in Photoshop also happens in the Darkroom, as in "Dodge and Burn" and "Unsharp Mask".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That would rule out the use of virtual light in creating a photograph, wouldn't it?

No. Once again, anything that happens in Photoshop also happens in the Darkroom, as in "Dodge and Burn" and "Unsharp Mask".
I asked you to back up your claim that virtual light don't count. You can't. If you can, DO IT! All of the definitions you posted defacto include virtual light.

http://www.lemuria.org/Unity/Skyboxe...panoramas.html

End of story.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:48 PM   #43

If you grew a virtual flower, could you enter it in a real flower show? Just a thought.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
If you grew a virtual flower, could you enter it in a real flower show? Just a thought.
A little old lady friend of mine got Sick and Tired of all her neighbors badmouthing her lack of a garden. So she planted some wonderful plastic flowers, and each morning would come out and water them. The neighbors were full of compliments for her garden....

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:29 PM   #45

Quote:
A little old lady friend of mine got Sick and Tired of all her neighbors badmouthing her lack of a garden. So she planted some wonderful plastic flowers, and each morning would come out and water them. The neighbors were full of compliments for her garden....

Dave
Im not laughing. Thats my mother. Her plastic flowers are always the first to bloom in the spring. She often gets compliments. She just waves and laughs.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:13 PM   #46

Quote:
I asked you to back up your claim that virtual light don't count. You can't. If you can, DO IT! All of the definitions you posted defacto include virtual light.
Ok. You win. I give up. Post an image illuminated by virtual light and recorded on a photosensitive surface, and I'll call it a photograph.

But just to be clear, I'm not talking about a virtual photosensitive surface.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Ok. You win. I give up. Post an image illuminated by virtual light and recorded on a photosensitive surface, and I'll call it a photograph.

But just to be clear, I'm not talking about a virtual photosensitive surface.
Here is a complete copy of YOUR definitions:

Quote:
Webster's New World College Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects upon a photosensitive surface (as film in a camera) by the chemical action of light or other radiant energy"

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)"

Wikipedia: "the process, activity and art of creating still or moving pictures by recording radiation on a sensitive medium ..."

American Heritage Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces"

Collins English Dictionary: "the process of recording images on sensitized material by the action of light, X-rays, etc., and the chemical processing of this material to produce a print, slide, or cine film"
All of the above are ALSO the products of Modeling and Rendering programs. Better re-read them. All are perfectly happy with ANY method of getting your photograph to print.

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:29 PM   #48

Read them again. The light, virtual or not, must be recorded on a photosensitive surface in order for the result to be a photograph.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Read them again. The light, virtual or not, must be recorded on a photosensitive surface in order for the result to be a photograph.
You're taking things out of context and running with them...

Any photograph is printed on a photosensitive surface...

Here's the whole definition:

Quote:
pho·tog·ra·phy (fə-tŏg'rə-fē)
n.
1. The art or process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces.
2. The art, practice, or occupation of taking and printing photographs.
3. A body of photographs.
Does a camera do a better job of printing a photograph than a rendering program? Neither prints the photograph - They both "record" the image.

When I "take" a photograph with my rendering program?

When I store the printed results of my photographs?

GMAB

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:27 PM   #50

Quote:
You're taking things out of context and running with them...
Quote:
Webster's New World College Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects upon a photosensitive surface (as film in a camera) by the chemical action of light or other radiant energy"

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)"

Wikipedia: "the process, activity and art of creating still or moving pictures by recording radiation on a sensitive medium ..."

American Heritage Dictionary: "the art or process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces"

Collins English Dictionary: "the process of recording images on sensitized material by the action of light, X-rays, etc., and the chemical processing of this material to produce a print, slide, or cine film"
Quote:
Does a camera do a better job of printing a photograph than a rendering program? Neither prints the photograph - They both "record" the image.
Where's your photosensitive surface?

That's in context.