Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:31 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
A contact print is not a photograph. A pinhole camera is still a camera.
You do need a camera to make a photograph.

brian
Why is it not a photograph? Because there is no camera involved? Meaning that you are simply defining away other definitions because they are inconvenient to the argument?

Quote:
Photograph

Back to Article Category

Photograph is the term used to refer to the reproduction of an image onto paper, glass, metal, etc. Although most photographs are produced with cameras, they can also be made through Kirlian photography techniques or Cyanotype methods. Whether or not a camera is used, a photographer must treat his medium with a series of chemical and then expose it to light. Only after this process will the image appear on the medium.
While early photographers rendered photographs on metal, photographers today print photos on paper or store them on computers. Using JPEG or PNG files, people can send and receive photographic images over the computer.
Photography.com Photograph

I believe you were the one who stated that (pardon the quotes) "Kirlian photography has been debunked."

What does "debunking mean?" That they didn't use a camera, therefore it's not a photograph?

Look up the expression, "Circular Reasoning."

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:49 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,214
Default

Dave;
By your reasoning, a blueprint would be considered a photograph. You would probably be the only one to do so.
"Kirlian Photography" was not only not photography, it didn't do what it was claimed to do, which was to create a picture of a person's 'aura'. Turns out it was not light(or any other electromagnetic radiation) which was causing the change in the film, but chemical changes in the presence of moisture. Remove moisture, and there was no 'aura'.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:54 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I believe you were the one who stated that (pardon the quotes) "Kirlian photography has been debunked."

What does "debunking mean?" That they didn't use a camera, therefore it's not a photograph?
No. Kirlian Photography was promoted by some as a method of photographing a person's "aura" (sometimes called “Energy Emission Analysis” and often used to support quackery like "Therapeutic Touch".) [See http://www.csicop.org/si/show/aura_p...a_candid_shot/ ] Those are all "bunk" (which is a shortened form of the word "bunkum", which means "nonsense") and "to debunk" is to expose a falsehood.

It has nothing to do with photography.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:56 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Dave;
By your reasoning, a blueprint would be considered a photograph. You would probably be the only one to do so.
"Kirlian Photography" was not only not photography, it didn't do what it was claimed to do, which was to create a picture of a person's 'aura'. Turns out it was not light(or any other electromagnetic radiation) which was causing the change in the film, but chemical changes in the presence of moisture. Remove moisture, and there was no 'aura'.

brian
I have no idea about showing someone's "Aura." The only examples I've ever seen were of leaves and rocks and stuff like that. If someone claimed that it shows the soul or aura, or whatever - You bet, I believe you...

It's been debunked...

Nor did you mention, in your reply, Cyanotype photography.

The site from which I posted to, is a very useful one. I've bookmarked it. It contains a HUGE glossary of photographic terms.

http://en.mimi.hu/photography/index_photography.html

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:04 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,214
Default

Even your source soes not refer to cyanotype as photography, it calls it a print. Just because it is listed in the photography category, does not make everything in that category photogtaphy. Unless you want to include such categories as AA lithium, and NiMH cells as photography also.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:10 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Even your source soes not refer to cyanotype as photography, it calls it a print. Just because it is listed in the photography category, does not make everything in that category photogtaphy. Unless you want to include such categories as AA lithium, and NiMH cells as photography also.

brian
Err, did you actually read the quote?

Quote:
Photograph is the term used to refer to the reproduction of an image onto paper, glass, metal, etc. Although most photographs are produced with cameras, they can also be made through Kirlian photography techniques or Cyanotype methods.
Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:51 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,214
Default

Here is the definition from the link that you posted.



Cyanotype
Invented by Herschel in 1842, Cyanotype produces characteristic Prussian Blue images through the combination of iron salts with potassium ferricyanide. Once coated, the paper can either be left to dry by air in a darkened room or heat dried with a hair dryer. The image is formed by contact printing using the sun, but because the process cannot resolve fine detail, working from a line negative is recommended. Once exposure is complete, wash the print in cold running water for around 30 minutes until all yellow is gone. To brighten the highlights, rinse the print briefly in a dilute chlorine bleach bath, or to lighten specific areas, use a brush and bleach diluted 1:32. As well as paper, Cyanotype prints can be made onto heavy cotton or canvas, but you should avoid exposing finished images to bright light, or they will fade. Contact printing process producing a blue image on a white background.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:42 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Here is the definition from the link that you posted.



Cyanotype
Invented by Herschel in 1842, Cyanotype produces characteristic Prussian Blue images through the combination of iron salts with potassium ferricyanide. Once coated, the paper can either be left to dry by air in a darkened room or heat dried with a hair dryer. The image is formed by contact printing using the sun, but because the process cannot resolve fine detail, working from a line negative is recommended. Once exposure is complete, wash the print in cold running water for around 30 minutes until all yellow is gone. To brighten the highlights, rinse the print briefly in a dilute chlorine bleach bath, or to lighten specific areas, use a brush and bleach diluted 1:32. As well as paper, Cyanotype prints can be made onto heavy cotton or canvas, but you should avoid exposing finished images to bright light, or they will fade. Contact printing process producing a blue image on a white background.
And your point is?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:31 PM.