Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Get out even in the worst of weather. You'd be surprised what great shots you can get when its terrible out there.
Perhaps I'm too concerned about my cameras. This is probably the topic of a separate thread, especially in light of an upcoming trip to rainforests, but how do you protect a non-weatherproofed P&S (FZ35, Canon S90) from the elements (active snow, rain, mist, etc.).
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:38 AM   #12

For bad weather there must be camera cases or some way to put the camera in a plastic baggie to prevent moisture damage. You might even look at an underwater housing for your camera if you are that concerned.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:59 AM   #13

jazzer-

You may be over emphasizing the problem. I have traveled to Costa Rica many times.
Put each camera in aziplock bag with a silica gel packet, and then into a second case. You should have no problems.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:30 AM   #14

I read an interesting suggestion in a book - use a shower cap to cover the camera, leaving the lens opening free. I saw people using plastic baggies when I was hiking in the rain in Olympic National Park. Underwater housings are probably the best, but they are expensive - I'd rather try the shower cap or plastic baggy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:56 AM   #15

Sarah, you may be right. Obviously many people visit and bring their cameras. The ziplock is a good idea for when I'm not shooting.

Mtngal, thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a cheap and easy solution.

What about something to cover the lens -- like a UV protector or something that I could simply wipe off it gets wet. Is that necessary?

And since we are on the general topic, any suggestions for a lens cleaning kit and (for the FZ35) a reasonably priced but good quality polarizing filter. Sorry to get so far off topic.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:46 AM   #16

One practice Ive always believed in. When you purchase your camera while in the store purchase a UV or Skylight filter and put it on the lens. Never ever take it off. They are easier to clean and replace. If you clean your camera lens you will remove the coating.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote