Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2003, 7:19 PM   #1

Default Help choosing digicam: FinePix S5000, DiMAGE Z1, or ???

I am looking for a digital camera that needs to be able to take good pictures in a low light setting. It also needs to be able to take good pictures of fast sports action in a low light setting. My current camera, the Argus DC3550, doesn't fare so well in the low light department. I liked the DC3550, but I feel that I need a better camera for my application. I am looking for something that will do alot better in low light conditions.

I am looking at cameras in the $300 range with long range flashes. So far I have found the Fuji FinePix S5000 and the Minolta DiMAGE Z1. I have read reviews on both cameras and both seem to have their pros and cons, the S5000's being too much JPEG compression, and one of the reviews I read for the Z1 said that it had "mediocre low light focusing" and that night shots "didn't come out."

Truth be told, I will mostly probably be using the AUTO settings for alot of the features on my camera, at least until I become more learned in photography.

I was wondering if anyone could sway me either way towards one of these cameras. I'm currently leaning towards the FinePix S5000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks alot.
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:05 AM   #2

I was in the same situation as you are in right now. I went with S5000 and I cannot be happier. Picture quality is awesome. Nightshots are well. Other experts here might be able to give you better opinions.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote