Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have for you standard zoom
olympus 14-42mm 2 33.33%
panasonic 14-45mm 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:09 AM   #1

Default M4/3 standard zoom lenses poll

Just wondering which lens members would prefer for a m4/3 compact camera as their standard lens, body not a factor.

Choices

Olympus 14-42mm, This lens is the most compact lens for a standard zoom, When lock in the travel position is is about the size of 2 pancake lenses stacked. Less distortion.

Panasonic 14-45mm, This lens focus fast then the olympus on any m4/3 body, and is about the size of 3 pancake lenses stacked. More distortion.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

But the olympus really telescopes out a lot when unlocked. Bit of an engineering challenge to make that mechanism reliable of a long period I would guess. (Maybe not.)

I don't really like either of them.

Go with the pancakes instead. A 14mm is due RSN I believe.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:22 AM   #3

Neither of them is particularly good on it's own, and since the problems of each lens are somewhat corrected on the corresponding bodies but not on the other, the decision comes down to the camera body, not the lens. Even presuming you wanted to put a stabilized lens on a stabilized body, or an unstabilized lens on an unstabilized body, the results wouldn't be good.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 11, 2010 at 4:00 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Olympus 14-42mm, This lens is the most compact lens for a standard zoom, When lock in the travel position is is about the size of 2 pancake lenses stacked. Less distortion.

Panasonic 14-45mm, This lens focus fast then the olympus on any m4/3 body, and is about the size of 3 pancake lenses stacked. More distortion.
Actually, the above statement implies the Olympus doesn't have very much distortion but the Panasonic does. I'd say a more accurate description would be:

Olympus 14-42mm: Large distortion (4.6%)
Panasonic 14-45mm: Even larger distortion (5.5%)

However, at least in the Panasonic, the in camera correction reduces this to almost 0%
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
But the olympus really telescopes out a lot when unlocked. Bit of an engineering challenge to make that mechanism reliable of a long period I would guess. (Maybe not.)

I don't really like either of them.

Go with the pancakes instead. A 14mm is due RSN I believe.
The oly lens is simple to operate. But as a traveler, the main concern is when packing it, so with the telescope feature. It does make it a more compact design. And the lens seems pretty reliable in design. Unlocking it is simple, just start zooming out the lens. And closing just requires you to push a latch as you zoom back to close up the lens.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Actually, the above statement implies the Olympus doesn't have very much distortion but the Panasonic does. I'd say a more accurate description would be:

Olympus 14-42mm: Large distortion (4.6%)
Panasonic 14-45mm: Even larger distortion (5.5%)

However, at least in the Panasonic, the in camera correction reduces this to almost 0%
Actually I think the oly and panny bodies compensate for the distortion in it's programming.

I also think that it does the same thing when you mix and match bodies. But I am not 100% sure about that. I believe that is the case with the pancakes and longer zooms. Think that is why you can update a panny lens on a oly body, and a oly lens with a panny body.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... Think that is why you can update a panny lens on a oly body, and a oly lens with a panny body.
But even if you could, would you want to put a stabilized lens on a stabilized body, or an unstabilized lens on an unstabilized body?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:32 PM   #8

Yes, if you are using the longer zoom range, turn off the in body is, use the lens IS for better long range performance. For the shorter distances. You can turn off the lens IS, and use the 3 inbody is base on your need, 2 axis, vertical or horizontal. And with the panny non IS 20mm prime. You get IS with it.

Actually, oly tier II told me that the oly body will let you update any m4/3 lens as that is part of the m4/3 consortium policy. And you can also update regular 4/3 lenses form oly.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:54 PM   #9

If you want it to be a science project, then get the Panasonic lens and an Olympus body.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #10

long end of the zoom, the lens base IS is suppose to be better then the inbody system. But the 14-45 does not pack as well as the 14-42.