Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:56 AM   #11

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I, too, have and older CRT TV that's working well.

I saw this HDTV article yesterday and bookmarked it for future reading. Perhaps it will be helpful.

Mike

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35770126...h_and_gadgets/
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:18 AM   #12

To the OP:

I think some of the confusion here revolves around the term "home theater". It sounds like you are thinking of "home theater" as a single device. Home theater typically encompasses several components:
1) A monitor to show the images (a tv. The therm monitor is often used because several display devices do not contain speakers and some do not contain tuners to receive / decode TV channels.)

2) speakers. In this case 5.1 refers to 5 speakers and a dedicated subwoofer for base.

3) Video source(s) - typically DVD or blu-ray players, plus cable or satellite boxes for television sources

4) Audio components. Most typically an A/V receiver that can take the various audio and video sources from multiple inputs and re-direct them to the monitor and speakers. In higher end systems instead of Receivers you'll have separate pre-amps, amps etc.

So, when you say you want a new "home theater" which are you talking about? Just a device to play movies? Or that device plus the speakers plus the receiver?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:30 AM   #13

By the way, it's worth noting that viewing distance plays a big part in HD. Depending on the size of the display and your viewing distance you may not see any difference between 1080 or even 720 over standard 480.
http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/screen-size/

So if you're sitting 15 feet away and only have a 36" display say, you'll never see the benefit of 1080 pixels per inch.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
By the way, it's worth noting that viewing distance plays a big part in HD. Depending on the size of the display and your viewing distance you may not see any difference between 1080 or even 720 over standard 480.
http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/screen-size/

So if you're sitting 15 feet away and only have a 36" display say, you'll never see the benefit of 1080 pixels per inch.
One would need a pretty good magnifying glass to see 1080 piixels per inch from that distance. Fortunately, the specification is 1080 pixels total, per screen height.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
One would need a pretty good magnifying glass to see 1080 piixels per inch from that distance. Fortunately, the specification is 1080 pixels total, per screen height.

brian
thanks for that. i screwed up
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post

From what I can understand in this thread, I think shoturtle has summed it up more or less the way I see it myself.

Regards,
Mark
He is suggesting you buy in preparation for the future and hes right. The problem is the one you are looking at that they refer to as HD is only called that because it has an HDMI output and upscales regular DVD movies. It has no HD decoding capabilities, no HD audio decoding and no room for expansion to add or support those features later. So other than the fact that it will hook up to an HD set, there is nothing HD about it

I realize that you are wanting to keep your TV. Looking at the unit you mentioned you would be adding audio and a dvd/cd player. If that is your goal then this will probably be fine.. just don't mistake it for HD. HD through disc comes from Bluray. It has both HD video and Audio. The HD Audio is referred to as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Since you are wanting to keep your TV you need to know the exact capabilities, otherwise any HD source you buy may exceed that and be of no use to you.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:42 AM   #17

Hi all,

John, by home theater, I mean a single player and receiver device that
--> can play CDs, DVDs, in some instances (but not the one I'm looking at) bluray, MP3, files from (and to) USB, etc. etc.,
--> has an AM/FM tuner
--> and can redirect an auxiliary (AUX) source to the monitor and speakers
--> Is attached to the abovementioned 5.1 speakers.
(I have a separate TV set, as mentioned earlier.)

That's the basic set-up I had, and that I want to replace. These all-in-one boxes keep coming out with new features, and HD seems to be one of the latest.

I had a look in the operating manual of the Samsung TV, and can find nothing about its resolution.

Furthermore, we have a viewing distance of at least 10 feet, if not 12 to 15.

I was mostly concerned about HD capability because this would, if I understand correctly, enable me to hook up my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 directly to the player and watch the movies straight off the camera.

Frankly, whether the TV achieves 1080 pixels through interpolation or otherwise, I think this would not make much difference to me, sitting 12 feet away.

If the only difference between the HT 304 SL and the 304 SLH is indeed that the latter can connect to an HD set, but it can't decode an HD signal, then I might as well buy the cheaper SL model, and it will serve our needs just fine.

But just to be sure, I'll go back to the shops and enquire about the features of the SLH vs. the SL.

Thanks, and regards,
Mark
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:35 PM   #18

You are going to be hard pressed to go HD with all the features you want and stay in the price range you mentioned. The following units are about as close as you are going to get. If you find lower priced units with the same or more features they are probably complete garbage. The first one listed is Sony and the more versatile of the two because it is more of a component system rather than all in one. You would need to add your own bluray player but it has inputs for this and more. The second one has the bluray player built in, which I dont care for since it has no inputs to add components later nor does it have AM/FM. With no inputs, if the bluray player goes out, you have no option to add an external one.

Sony HTS S360.. Decodes HD audio. Has inputs to add more HD components later. You would have to add your own bluray or DVD player.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HTSS...d+bluray&ssi=0

Panasonic SC BT200 7 .. Decodes HD audio and is 7.1 surround sound. Bluray player built in. No room to add more HD components but already has Bluray . DOES NOT have AM/FM Tuner.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_133SCBT...d+bluray&ssi=0

If you post your TV model number I will find out the capabilites for you.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote