Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Homemade waterproof camera?

I like to spend alot of time (in the summer anyway) having fun in my boat...and my camera is something that is allways with me. Problem is, I really don't like having my $400 camera in the boat. I recently got a 1.3mp camera for $10, and I'm going to try and waterproof it. Anybody have any thoughts on that? I was thinking some kind of plexiglass box around it, but then I'd have to find a way to push the buttons...
zmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:38 PM   #2

ziplock bag?
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:55 PM   #3

Thought about that, but I wouldn't really trust it.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:42 AM   #4

Have you tried scrolling down the forum to "Underwater Digital"
Perhaps they might have an idea.

The only options I am aware of are the ziplock and a pelican case. The pelican case would only be for carrying purposes (waterproof/crush-proof/floats in saltwater). As soon as you snapped your pictures, place it back in the case.

I enjoy being out on the waters too and while out, I place a ziplock over my camera and keep it in the case. The ziplock is abit awkward but I deal with it :roll:
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:38 AM   #5

Yeah, I have been keeping a zip lock over my expensive camera, but my problem is I like to take pictures while moving at high speeds...and I'm afraid I'll drop the camera or something.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:39 AM   #6

ewamarine makes UW flexible housings that give you reasonable access/use of your camera in the salty spray conditions as you want and will allow you to take it in and under without issue and great relative expense

www.ewamarine.com
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 3:57 PM   #7

sjms, are there some underwater housing available for certain cameras?
In thinking about it, it seems I recall seeing such within my travels on the 'net...but am not certain.

Zmoz, if there isn't housing available for your camera or if they are too expensive...your best bet may be to purchase a disposable camera or carry a camera that should you ruin it, won't feel a "loss". The safest route but not the most favorable, I'm sure.

You might also consider finding a hunting/fishing forum and pose your question there. No doubt, someone has come up with their own device to protect their camera.

If you could make your own housing, you would compromise picture quality to some degree (I would think) by having a housing over your lens?
Unless you kept the openings unprotected. Just my theory. This method, you'd protect the body but of course if your lens, shutter button etc. became exposed to water or if it fell in the water altogether...well, you'd be S.O.L.

If covering the lens etc. wasn't an issue, then yes, you'd need a way to press the shutter button via an electronic shutter release. The question is, is there one for your camera/would your camera support one?
If not, perhaps a soft, yet waterproof button covering would suffice.

If I tried to create my own housing, I would look at a small pelican case (perhaps a GPS pelican case) but prior to drilling holes & gluing...would ask someone who definately would know which glue to use, followed by asking what soft, yet waterproof material I could use for the shutter button and how to best go about making darn sure water didn't make it in: affixing materials.
I would then run my own tests but even still, considering how I am...would be very careful. lol

I just thought I would throw out a few things...but again, am uneducated about such things. Obviously :?

Ideas but would they work and if so, how to go about it? Which pretty much puts us back on the drawing board. lol
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:11 PM   #8

The Sony DSC-U60 is water proof upto 5 feet depth.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../sony_u60.html
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 5:34 PM   #9

For transporting it, nothing is better than a Pelican case. I like to shoot underwater pictures with a 10 gallon fish tank. Just place the camera in it, and sink the bottom few inches under the water.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:31 PM   #10

there are many custom made housings for many models of cameras both film and digital. i have a hard housing for my 5050z. basic drop in, close and jump in. the ewamarine setup up is a much mor economical for most people. it is the basic ziplock with considerable duability and truely watertight so you can dive with it. to varying depths per model.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote