Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:58 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Going on a trip, what to pack?

Sooo. Dilemma.

Going to South Africa for 3 weeks. Including one week in a game reserve with "big-5" game.

I am of one mind with Michael Reichmann when he says "The last thing the world needs is another close-up of a lion." I am not going to be photographing the wildlife looking for portraits.

Mostly it's a family trip. And you know me - with a 28mm and a 50mm that's pretty much all I need.

But... being able to take some photographs of the wildlife might be useful from a documentary point of view. Not for me, but for my 6-year-old daughter Lauren. So that she can put together a scrapbook for when she returns from holiday.

So what do I take with me?

Kit 1: Zeiss Ikon, VC 28mm f3.5, ZM Planar 50mm f2, 10 rolls of Fuji Neopan 400, 10 rolls of Ektar 100, 10 rolls of Ilford XP2. (<1kg)

Kit 2: Canon 5DMkII, 24-105L, 70-300DO, 50mm f1.4. (~4kg)

or Kit 1 + Kit 2? Practicality and versatility says take Kit 2. Travel comfort and artistic temperament says take Kit 1. (I always somehow take better pictures with the ZI.) Prevarication says take the whole lot.
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:24 PM   #2

For you I'd suggest kit 1 + the Canon/70-300. I simply doubt that the Zeiss will do the wildlife shots you want for your daughter. One other issue you might consider is that, while possible, needing to change emulsions mid-roll. I always considered that a pain and generally, in my film days would load multiple bodies with different emulsions if it was even a remote requirement.

On the other hand if it were I taking the trip I'd take kit 2 + kit one with a reduced film load. Have a good time on your vacation.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:36 PM   #3

Kit 2, as you are trying to get a scrap book going. So you are limited to the amount of shots you can take with your film load. 3 Weeks is a long time, and 30 rolls of 36 can get used up quickly. I know, the last time I was in kenya on safari, I had 40 rolls of film for 2 weeks, and I went through them quite fast, between the landscape and the wildlife, and family photos. Well you do not need to get a close up of a lion, but for other wildlife in the tree lines, the 300mm reach do come in handy.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:16 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I think you're right, I'm going to have to take the Canon, just for the telephoto.

The only question then becomes whether I can find the room to take the ZI too. The film is easy, as it's not very heavy and I can put it in my hold luggage, but my cameras have to stay with me in hand luggage.

My wife of course will be taking her groovy new S90. :-)
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i doubt you will need the Zeiss too.

just bring the canon kit. and you have the s90 if its too big for a night out.

i see no practical reason for bringing the zeiss to this adventure.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The film is easy, as it's not very heavy and I can put it in my hold luggage, but my cameras have to stay with me in hand luggage.
Either hand carry the film or shield the film if you put it checked luggage (which may cause it's own complication.) Baggage X-Ray is way stronger than that used for carry-on.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote