Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:14 AM   #11

I do not know about the panny, but when shooting without a lens on the oly, the aperture setting is blank out, all you can do is set the time. Which makes sense as the camera has no communication to a lens.

I know tuillo shot allot of macro with manual lens. There really should be a m4/3 forum so that all the m4/3 guys would see m4/3 threads.

But you may want to pm tuilllo about manual macro lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM. Reason: goof on a word (time) I meant to write
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I do not know about the panny, but when shooting without a lens on the oly, the aperture setting is blank out, all you can do is set the it. Which makes sense as the camera has no communication to a lens.

I know tuillo shot allot of macro with manual lens. There really should be a m4/3 forum so that all the m4/3 guys would see m4/3 threads.

But you may want to pm tuilllo about manual macro lenses.
Thanks.... and I totally agree about a dedicated micro-four-thirds forum - I'm obviously quite new around here, and it feels a bit lonely over in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR forum, maybe 'cos I bought the wrong camera!!

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:27 AM   #13

Micro 4/3 lenses aren't very good, so the camera automatically compensates for the vignetting and rectilinear distortion. Extension tubes don't do anything but pass the electrical contacts through from the camera to the lens and vice versa, so the camera doesn't know that the amount of compensation it applies isn't approporiate when the lens is on an extension tube. You can try it, but I think you'll get some pretty weird results. I think a good set of close-up lenses would be a much better option.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:34 AM   #14

Actually with the 4/3 tubes the camera know there is a tube, you can do firmware updates to the oly tube.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Thanks.... and I totally agree about a dedicated micro-four-thirds forum - I'm obviously quite new around here, and it feels a bit lonely over in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR forum, maybe 'cos I bought the wrong camera!!
You brought a great camera, I might have waited for the G2 as it took care of the cdaf issues with 4/3 lenses. But that HD lens is a awesome lens, by itself it is a 1000 dollar lens.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Micro 4/3 lenses aren't very good, so the camera automatically compensates for the vignetting and rectilinear distortion. Extension tubes don't do anything but pass the electrical contacts through from the camera to the lens and vice versa, so the camera doesn't know that the amount of compensation it applies isn't approporiate when the lens is on an extension tube. You can try it, but I think you'll get some pretty weird results. I think a good set of close-up lenses would be a much better option.
I sincerely do not wish to offend someone with more experience and about 6,500 more posts than myself, but I thought that micro-four-thirds lenses weren't all that bad, or have I missed something..? Don't the majority of bodies (from all manufacturers) compensate for "discrepancies" in first-party lenses anyway..? In spite of the additional cost when compared to Olympus, due to built-in optical stabilisation, I thought the performance of Panasonic lenses was quite well respected... my 14-140 and 20mm are both pretty sharp.

I'm now looking forward to the 'challenge' of shooting with my reverse setup!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:46 AM   #17

The oly and panny short zooms are not great optically, but just like canon and the other guys out there m4/3 camera correct for the lens. So they produce a very good final result. The m4/3 lenses are smarter lens, that is why you can do firmware updates to them. The correct for short comings in design compromises for the more compact design.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
..., but just like canon and the other guys out there m4/3 camera correct for the lens.
Not so. Camera's don't generally correct for shortcomings in the lenses (with the notable exception of Pentax, for only some of it's lenses, and for only some of their flaws.)

In fact, organizations that test lenses have lamented that m4/3 cameras distort the actual optical image, making an objective test of m4/3 lenses difficult if not impossible.

The m4/3 system has a smaller lens to sensor distance, making vignetting more severe, as are field curvature and rectilinear distortion, all of which are "corrected" in the m4/3 camera body.

This type of thing doesn't happen in any other system.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:11 AM   #19

my canon does to a degree, it one of the option to correct for the lens in the T1i. So oly, canon, panasonic and pentax do. Not sure about sony, so that make 4 out of 6 that do. M4/3 just does it further then other system.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:21 AM   #20

So, at the very least, you can turn it off with other camera bodies. You can't with m4/3 bodies. Which means that the correction would be applied inappropriately when an extension tube is used. That's my point.