Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:24 AM   #21

we do not know that yet, I have contacted oly about their tube. It may apply for the tube in the correction. The tube does talk to the camera, and can be firmware update. If it does correct for the tube, then that is a very viable option.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:26 AM   #22

The very honest eBay seller from whom I ordered the FD 50mm lens has contacted me to inform me that this lens may not be the best for reverse macro..... Apparently you cannot manually set the aperture unless the lens is mated to a body.

I have since Google'd that I should be able to make it work by fashioning a 'macro hood' from the rear lens cap, essentially by cutting a hole in it!

I have no experience - as may now be apparent - of old manual lenses, and thought this would be a straightforward case of choosing the aperture via the ring on the lens.... seems I've missed the bit about 'stopping down'.

Help guys (and gals). Is this going to work, or do I look for a different lens?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #23

That is the big problem with MF lenses on a digital camera. But you may also look as some of the older OM lenses from olympus. They had couple of macro too.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:30 AM   #24

The effects a tube has on a particular lens differs from lens to lens. There's no way to predict what effect it will have on a lens, and even if there was, the firmware that contained the correction would be as large as the firmware that contained the correction for all lenses without the tube.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:34 AM   #25

Like I said this is an unknown right now, I contacted oly to find out. If it work that the tube is in the camera's firmware, then it should work no matter which m4/3 and 4/3 lens is used. But if it does not, then it would not be the best option. But Oly should get back to me about this in a day or so.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Well Dave, you'll be glad to know that I decided life is too short and valuing your advice above, I've gone for it!!

I don't have twenty years experience, but I can't argue with 32 vs 600 - I've just ordered a 52mm thread m4/3 reversing ring, and FD 50mm f/1.8 on eBay, and am looking forward to exploring the creative possibilities of my backwards setup.

I'll let you all know how I get on
Essentially you will have a fixed focus lens, with no electronic connection with the camera. You can change the DOF by manually changing the aperture.

You will have to [I]Know[I] the correct aperture and speed - None of the built in goodies of modern cameras are going to be of help.

The image quality is beyond belief - I kid you not.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:10 AM   #27

Thanks Dave.

Can you comment on getting the lens to 'stop down' (or up)..? It seems the 50mm FD I bought earlier - which I thought was manually operable - won't work without some kind of adapted rear cap which fools the camera into thinking it's mated to a body (see post #22 above).

Any thoughts - I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from your 20 years experience!!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:12 AM   #28

TCav,

Oly got back to me, the ex25 will work with the epl-1 with the 35mm 3.5. Even the AF works, it just hunts a little. Also the camera compensated for the tube and lens. Think I will be adding one to my wife's kit.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Thanks Dave.

Can you comment on getting the lens to 'stop down' (or up)..? It seems the 50mm FD I bought earlier - which I thought was manually operable - won't work without some kind of adapted rear cap which fools the camera into thinking it's mated to a body (see post #22 above).

Any thoughts - I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from your 20 years experience!!
In this case the experience required is experience with the camera in question. You might want to simply bite the bullet and write or call the manufacturer.

"Can I or can I not use a lens in reverse mode?"

I would guess that if a camera Can use older, manual lenses, then it shouldn't have problems with a reverse ring. If there's no way to use a manual lens, I don't see how you could use such a rig.

Oddly enough, any brand lens can be used with a reverse ring, since only the "mount" is needed for a particular camera.

Edited in:

BTW, when I first bought a reverse ring set-up, back in 1972, a professional was kind enough to give me a long and clear explanation of why the IQ is enhanced. He was a Photographer/entomologist, and he "owed me."

Would you believe I don't remember a word?

Something about increased light being focused on the film...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:34 AM   #30

Thanks again Dave.

I ordered a reverse ring with 52mm thread and micro-four-thirds adaptor - this lets me fix any lens with a 52mm thread to my Panasonic GH1, and as long as I have the "shoot w/o lens" menu option set, I should be able to use manual mode to set the exposure.

The problem I seem to have stumbled across, is that the Canon 50mm FD f/1.8 lens which I thought could be manually set, needs some kind of connection to a body in order to allow stopping down of the aperture to the chosen setting..... i.e. if I pick f/4 on the ring, the iris won't close to this setting unless I press something.

I have no experience of old manual lenses (you can probably tell), and I missed this 'stopping down' piece of the puzzle - I may be able to fashion a 'hood' which pushes the connections down and allows manual aperture setting on the lens to stop down the iris appropriately. I just don't know now!