Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Like I said this is an unknown right now, I contacted oly to find out. If it work that the tube is in the camera's firmware, then it should work no matter which m4/3 and 4/3 lens is used. But if it does not, then it would not be the best option. But Oly should get back to me about this in a day or so.
You understand that an extension tube doesn't contain any optics, so there's nothing to actually compensate for, except how its presence will affect every other lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
TCav,

Oly got back to me, the ex25 will work with the epl-1 with the 35mm 3.5. Even the AF works, it just hunts a little. Also the camera compensated for the tube and lens. Think I will be adding one to my wife's kit.
I'd be pleased if you could post an image you took with the extension tube in place. Thank you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:37 PM   #33

I will do that once I get it, but it will not be this week both bh and adorama are close for passover.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:33 PM   #34

Default Crikey...

Well, the 50mm FD lens arrived today but not the reversing ring - I couldn't resist having a go at 'stacking' the prime on the end of the 14-140 kit lens, and thought I'd share a couple of shots illustrating what's possible with this combo.

Please forgive my terrible technique which obviously needs refining and practise (lots of!).... I hand held these examples (i.e. no tripod), and was also holding the prime against the filter (i.e. no coupler rings or gaffa tape)

The depth-of-field is indeed incredibly shallow, and although I found moving the camera to find the focus point quite intuitive, it's not easy to get right at all, and I'm well aware that I haven't here. I'm now even more intrigued to see the difference reverse mounting the lens alone, which will let me vary the aperture to utilise the f/1.8 and a faster shutter speed (or lower ISO), or stop down to increase the DOF. Also really looking forward to trying to shoot some mini moving subjects!!

For both these slightly boring examples, the 'far away' shots are as close as the 14-140 kit would let me focus and the 'close up' shots were taken using the GH1's "medium" image setting (2112px x 2112px) to remove the obvious circular vignette. Both the 50mm and 14-140 were wide open, but because of the limitation of f/5.8 at the tele end of the kit lens, I was forced to use ISO3200.

Lens Cap

You've Got Mail

Anyway, I'm not hoping to win any prizes with these, I just thought it was a useful illustration

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:38 PM   #35

how close were you when you focus onto the x in lumix? Not bad at all.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:48 PM   #36

Pretty close... there's not a lot of working distance at all!! The front (rear element) of the 50mm prime lens could only have been a couple of inches at most away from the subject.

There was one (and only one) very obvious point of focus - moving backwards and forwards even just a millimetre threw everything out.... I guess this makes sense, since the prime lens would ordinarily be converging focus on the film (or sensor) plane.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:53 PM   #37

I'm not sure of the mathematics involved.... These 'stacked' macro shots were 140mm on the kit lens - does that mean a magnification ratio of 2.8:1 (140/50)..? What magnification ratio will I get when I reverse mount the prime on its' own, since presumably the working distance will be the same...?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:02 PM   #38

I am not sure about the math, but you may even get less working distance. Not 100% sure.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:22 AM   #39

Default Help.... it's not working!!

OK, so what have I missed?

The 52mm thread to m4/3 mount ring arrived earlier, and I've just had the chance to fit it to the 50mm prime and give it a whirl....... and it doesn't work!!

I'm guessing I've missed something simple, obvious or otherwise, but I'm a little disappointed - I thought that mounting the lens in reverse was going to open up super-close-up macro (everything I've read so far suggested that it would), but all I get is what looks like a pretty regular 50mm image with a bit of 'blooming' - focusing makes no difference, and the working distance to the focal plane seems to be about 30cm.

Is the m4/3 not suitable for this type of reverse mount macro after all because of the short distance from the mount to the sensor..?

I'm confused - please, please help!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
OK, so what have I missed?

....... and it doesn't work!!

Is the m4/3 not suitable for this type of reverse mount macro after all because of the short distance from the mount to the sensor..?

I'm confused - please, please help!
That may well be the problem. I think the adapter may be intended for the 4:3 mount not the m4:3 mount. However using the 4:3 to m4:3 adapter (MMF-2 (Four Thirds Lens Adapter to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter)) might help the situation.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote