Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:59 PM   #1
mik

Default looking for a very good camera

i wonder if anyone can help
i have a hp photosmart 812 and its is a very poor cam when it comes to close ups and batery life

i am looking for a camera that can be good for close ups and distance shots and has a good batery life, price no object.

it must not cast shadows wtih close ups

help!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:14 PM   #2

If price is not a consideration, then you should look at a DSLR. Any photo will have shadows. You can edit out the shadows with software. What are you wanting to shoot and maybe that will help us help you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:21 PM   #3

Your question is almost too broad. Let me ask a few questions to see if we can't get some more requirements here.

How much weight are you willing to carry? How large is too large? How small is too small? Do you want to carry it all the time, or just on photography occasions?

Really.... how much money are you willing to spend? If price is no object, I'd recommend the Canon 1Ds, along with some really nice lenses and a good flash, a macro ring flash, a tripod and nice head. Maybe a Macro rail to help with close ups/macro work. Of course, we're talking a price range of about $10,000 USD. Yes, that is ten thousand dollars. I can't believe you are willing to put down that much money... but you will have something which is "really good"... (of course, I'd use "amazing" or "stunning".)

When you say "distance shots" how far away? Landscapes? Kids running in a soccer game? Are your subjects moving(those kids in the previous question)?

As a side note, most/many cameras can take an external battery pack. If you can deal with the weight and a wire, you can get amazing battery life from them.

As for casting shadows in closeups, that is probably a question of how you light the subject. Do you use the built in flash (I don't know if the Hp photosmart 812 has one)? They usually don't work well for macro work. External lights and a defuser to reduce harsh shadows are usually a better way to do it. You might look around in the Close-ups forum here and ask how people setup their pictures.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:29 PM   #4
mik

ok i am a dentist, need to take shots inside the mouth and outside of patients faces, so i need to get quite close to the teeth and also take distance shots for medical purposes of the face and height of the patient for grwoth purposes.

i need to know if there is a cam besides a DSLR?

wieght is not such and issue, but some dslrs are quite big, i do need to strap it around my neck or my assistant will have to wear it as i there is hardly time to take it off with the muber of patients that come in, as i have certain days where i only toke patient record pics.

i do have a well lit room from sunlight and can use the dental light as well as overhed lights
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:50 PM   #5

I would recommend what I consider very good low light cameras. The Olympus C4040 and the C5050 both have the same lens and will perform well under the conditions you describe. I would recommend going to a local store and try one of these cameras.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
ok i am a dentist, need to take shots inside the mouth and outside of patients faces, so i need to get quite close to the teeth and also take distance shots for medical purposes of the face and height of the patient for grwoth purposes.
You may want to look at a camera that can take closeup lenses...here's an example (on a 300mm lens) http://www.volcano.photobucket.com/a...up/uspenny.jpg

You can use the dental light, or get a ring flash.

Suggest you check with your dental association...see what they suggest to use as they should have recomendations and other resources due to the need for medical accuracy!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:11 AM   #7

I have a strange feeling that someone else asked a similar question many months back. I would try searching old posts for Dentist or teeth.

Getting the light into the mouth while not blocking it with the camera might be difficult. I truly have no idea.

A camera with a good macro might be what you want. I've heard very good things about the macro on many of the Nikon cameras. The CoolPix 5700 has a good long telephoto, but I don't know about it's macro ability so I'd do more research before even considering that one. But the other models in the CoolPix line could be an option.

Low light focusing is a good thing to consider. I don't know how the Nikons do in that area.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:46 PM   #8

I have the Canon G3 and while not having taken many macro shots, have been happy with the few macros I've taken when using Hoya macro filters.

As for "wearing the camera", I have seen but haven't used a camera harness sling.
An example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30050

While still a "newbie" (and quite a deal to learn yet) overall I have been quite satisfied with my camera. The more you learn and know about the camera, the happier you'll be with the results. As for me, I have yet to tap into my cameras potential.

If you are considering this camera (or any other camera), I'd check out a Yahoo message board dedicated to this line of camera (s) and pose your question to them. Familiar with the camera and different photographic subjects & situations, they could tell you a great deal more.

A good review site: http://www.dpreview.com

Good luck!
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:19 PM   #9
Administrator

This is an old solution (I owned this camera several years ago), and it's probably a overpriced.

However, it is designed for exactly what you are trying to accomplish. It includes the macro lens, macro slave flash, patient management software, etc. -- with the dental profession being one of the markets targeted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:25 PM   #10

i recommend the fujifilm s7000, its a gud camera, its bat life is gud, its got good super macro function and it has 6x optical zoom

it is 6 mp, dun bother about the 12 mp, no dif

gud for your line of work u shud try it....
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote